Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Has anybody replaced wiper setup with newer?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Just curious if anybody has upgraded their wiper system with a late model system that doesn't operate quite so spastic and stays on the window? Or is it even possible?

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I wanna see this. I can't stand the 3 speed system, it's the same on the new truck. Off, fast, really fast.

The windshield is not conducive to the size of wipers they installed. The ones with spoilers on them to push against the glass work a little better but look like #@%$&

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
NAPA sells something called "snuggies"(really) that help, but the wipers still hop around in windy situations. Dennis, I don't like the look of the wings either.

intermitent(spl?) wipers were an option on these trucks. Came on my SCS and I have put it on my other 2, simple plug and play deal, then you have off fast, realy fast or fast with a hestitation lol.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Doug...what is the tension like on your wiper arms?...and are you using the factory length of blade?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Doug...what is the tension like on your wiper arms?...and are you using the factory length of blade?

Duncan, they are new arms, but not NOS, and I am using the 15" blades, when I can find them. They seem to snap back on the windshield pretty good when I lift and release them. That's something I need to know - are there people that have good things to say about the wiper system?

Could it possibly be the arms on the motor that are bad?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Duncan, they are new arms, but not NOS, and I am using the 15" blades, when I can find them. They seem to snap back on the windshield pretty good when I lift and release them. That's something I need to know - are there people that have good things to say about the wiper system?

Could it possibly be the arms on the motor that are bad?

I was thinking that perhaps the springs were worn. I have compared the ones that came on my truck with NOS ones I picked up and the new ones have much more tension. For the short while that I drove the truck when I got it, the wipers worked alright. The Trico 63 series might work...I can make a enquiry if you would like.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
The part number should be T63151...I will still make a call and get an opinion from someone that knows more about them.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I just read on the ranger station forum that modified brake springs made a big difference in the tension of the wiper arms. I think I'll get some tomorrow and try them.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
The part number should be T63151...I will still make a call and get an opinion from someone that knows more about them.

Thanks Duncan. It doesn't look like any of the regional parts houses carry Trico, according to their website.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
If you decide that you want some NOS arms, pm me.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Thanks Duncan. It doesn't look like any of the regional parts houses carry Trico, according to their website.

Probably not...but I have a source :D..and no problem with the help!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Just curious if anybody has upgraded their wiper system with a late model system that doesn't operate quite so spastic and stays on the window? Or is it even possible?

I wanna see this. I can't stand the 3 speed system, it's the same on the new truck. Off, fast, really fast.

I'd love to know if this system or another more modern system would work. We were driving just yesterday in my rig and I was complaining about not having intermittent wipers because of drizzle and light rain.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I was thinking that perhaps the springs were worn. I have compared the ones that came on my truck with NOS ones I picked up and the new ones have much more tension. For the short while that I drove the truck when I got it, the wipers worked alright. The Trico 63 series might work...I can make a enquiry if you would like.

I was curious about the springs as well. I've built an inventory of arms from jy runs for this issue alone. If the arm has good tension/recoil it goes home with me. I've replaced many a arm that was lightly lying on the windshield with a jy arm and it drastically made it better, I would only imagine new would be that much better. As a matter of fact, swapped out the Bronco arms before 'winter' hit.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I'd love to know if this system or another more modern system would work. We were driving just yesterday in my rig and I was complaining about not having intermittent wipers because of drizzle and light rain.

Ken, as tankrsc stated, intermittent wipers can be retrofitted. There are quite a few available on e-bay. It is just a matter of having all the pieces and it's truly plug and play. There are a couple wires that need to be moved to other pins, which involves no cutting or splicing.

I added intermittent wipers after I first got my truck. It's so easy a cave man could do it.(Sorry, Geico).

Last edited:

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Ken, as tankrsc stated, intermittent wipers can be retrofitted. There are quite a few available on e-bay. It is just a matter of having all the pieces and it's truly plug and play. There are a couple wires that need to be moved to other pins, which involves no cutting or splicing.

I added intermittent wipers after I first got my truck. It's so easy a cave man could do it.(Sorry, Geico).

Thanks for the info....would you by any chance know what I should search for? I searched on ebay and google and couldn't find anything. I used intermittent, wiper retro, etc.....

Ford Truck Articles