Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Had something......well ODD happen to my truck today

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Well guys and gals

Me and the missus are taking a roadie while I wait to go to work for my new company. Anyway, I was pulling my trailer up 44 towards St. Louis, and got looking at my guages. According to my tach I was only turning about 1400 RPM at about 65 going uphill and I KNOW the engine was rapped tighter than that.

Pulled into a rest area, shut the truck down and restarted it, and it was right as rain.

Anybody ever had that happen?

Gunner

blacksnapon

Staff member
Well guys and gals

Me and the missus are taking a roadie while I wait to go to work for my new company. Anyway, I was pulling my trailer up 44 towards St. Louis, and got looking at my guages. According to my tach I was only turning about 1400 RPM at about 65 going uphill and I KNOW the engine was rapped tighter than that.

Pulled into a rest area, shut the truck down and restarted it, and it was right as rain.

Anybody ever had that happen?

Gunner
Did it happen anywhere around Waynesville-Ft.Leonard Wood.......HMMMM? Maybe it was telling you to stop, and visit your friendly local long haired mechanic!

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
YEAH!! And he coulda gone up to Osage Beach after that for a nice lunch at a fantastic little Cafe and if he'd have introduced himself, it woulda been FREE too. Now how many people get a FREE lunch??? Sheesh!

:rofl: :nana: :rofl:

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Did it happen anywhere around Waynesville-Ft.Leonard Wood.......HMMMM? Maybe it was telling you to stop, and visit your friendly local long haired mechanic!

No I was a little past there ;) Acutally I was less than an hour out of St. Louis :)

Gunner

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
No I was a little past there ;) Acutally I was less than an hour out of St. Louis :)

Gunner

Well then that's your prob....You shoulda stopped by and seen me! LOL

Just can't win with this crowd.

I have had that happen in my pete a time or two. usually key off/key on gets it back right. The stealership doesn't have a clue.

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
gunner, do you have any aftermarket equipment, lights, radios? were you passing an airport or army base?

we did have some issues with electrical interference from add ons causeing the cluster to do crazy things. also ford did release a message years ago for radio interference from army bases and airports.

Ever priced Peterbilt or CAT parts? Notice I was using it in reference to the BIG TRUCK...
I firmly believe everyone deserves to make their living, and businesses are there to earn a profit, and I fully realize NOONE puts out that kind of overhead to "give stuff away", so please, don't feel like I'm generalizing that term.

gunner, do you have any aftermarket equipment, lights, radios? were you passing an airport or army base?

we did have some issues with electrical interference from add ons causeing the cluster to do crazy things. also ford did release a message years ago for radio interference from army bases and airports.

Was there a big bright light overhead, and a railroad crossing going whacko in front of you as your whole truck shook?
do you feel the urge to pile your mashed potatoes ?
hehe...just pokin' fun bud...
Them government jammers are out to get him...

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
Was there a big bright light overhead, and a railroad crossing going whacko in front of you as your whole truck shook?
do you feel the urge to pile your mashed potatoes ?
hehe...just pokin' fun bud...
Them government jammers are out to get him...

dont get it......

Kep4

Jäger
Gunner, had that happen to mine in late 2005. The speedo and tach went wacky so I pulled over and shut it down. The first time that cured it, the second and third times it lasted through one or two more off/on cycles, I don't clearly recall. I do clearly recall it happened whilst employing a SuperChips 1405... 1504... whatever, the older model in the black case... tuner on Tow Mode. Since that unit has been relegated to shelf duty it's not happened to my PSD again.

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings

The only aftermarket items I have in the cab are a sirius radio, and a TomTom 720...............I wouldn't think they'd affect the tach..........I would think it would most probably be the other way around.

Gunner

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Gunner, had that happen to mine in late 2005. The speedo and tach went wacky so I pulled over and shut it down. The first time that cured it, the second and third times it lasted through one or two more off/on cycles, I don't clearly recall. I do clearly recall it happened whilst employing a SuperChips 1405... 1504... whatever, the older model in the black case... tuner on Tow Mode. Since that unit has been relegated to shelf duty it's not happened to my PSD again.

Now THERE'S something. While I don't have a tuner, I WAS in tow/haul mode...........Since I climbed into St Louis, I've been running with Tow/Haul off and haven't had it happen since.

Gunner

Ford Truck Articles