Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Gremlins?????? (Resolved)

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
OK , as some of you know about my vibration problem I have been having. I have had a few things done so far , but to bring some up to speed on what is going on , here it is:
About a month ago I noticed a hard vibration starting in my truck , it starts at about 30MPH then gets somewhat worse at 45-50 , and gets better at 70 , but it really is bad when I'm on the highway doing about 65 when I gas it and let off the throttle , it really shakes .
What I have done so far:
Balanced and rotated tires

From some advice replaced all the u-joints and carrier bearing, still there.

Diagnosed as failing Transmission , it is now rebuilt, still there.

Transmission guy talked to his guy and he believes it is a motor problem , maybe the Computer is not allowing a timing advance at higher speeds or even not getting enough fuel to the rail.
OR timing chain is stretched.
The new guy is gonna test drive it in the morning and try to figure it out, it's almost like I am chasing a gremlin here.

Any thoughts on what this could be????

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
My random addition to this thread..

Balancer? throwing off the engine harmonics? I don't know, just thinking out loud.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yeah Mike called me and I was actually kind of thinking about the balancer too. Mike, have a look at the harmonic balancer and look at the condition of the rubber isolater to see if it's cracked/deteriorating.

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
Yeah Mike called me and I was actually kind of thinking about the balancer too. Mike, have a look at the harmonic balancer and look at the condition of the rubber isolater to see if it's cracked/deteriorating.

It's already at the other shop , he's gonna look at it in the morning, gonna call and talk to him about the balancer, and other things, he's gotta test drive it first.
Keep the ideas coming!

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
If it is the engine turn it off while your driving, throw her in neutral and turn off the engine. See if that stops the shaking or not. There is only so much that can make a vibration. Engine and trans isnt usually it, unless you got super missfire, or like me broken gear in trans.

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
Got the update on the truck for ya..
Got it back today , good as new,
The vibration was caused by the Pinion rubbing the carrier , it rubbed so much it made a hump on it, causing it make a vibration , I forgot to bring the camera to take pics of it at the Transmission shop, you guys wouldn't believe that it was still running by the looks of it.I had a used rear-end from another truck put in , drum to drum , nice and painted looking new.NO VIBRATION!!!

Heres what was done to the truck while it was off the road:
Rebuilt tranny , ( bad diagnosis)
Oil pan was loose ,fixed small leak I had:)
New u-joints (3)
New carrier bearing
Transplanted rear-end
All at a cost of 3200$$
Had the engined tested for compression and computer checked for codes , everything was great there.
Just glad it was ll fixed , the boss wasn't too happy about the bill though, but the truck has made him money and is cheaper in the long run , if he were to buy me a company truck.

Just glad to have it back!!:ola:

Last edited:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Just glad it was ll fixed , the boss wasn't too happy about the bill though, but the truck has made him money and is cheaper in the long run , if he were to buy me a company truck.

They hiring? I want my boss to pay to fix my truck...

Glad to hear you got it all back on the road, and running good!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Great news Mike :)

And hey, Mike called me with this news earlier and made a suggestion that we start putting 'RESOLVED' in the thread titles for when people search for threads. Since this one is resolved, this is a good time to start that habit :)

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Great news Mike :)

And hey, Mike called me with this news earlier and made a suggestion that we start putting 'RESOLVED' in the thread titles for when people search for threads. Since this one is resolved, this is a good time to start that habit :)

I concur with this notion. It's nice to see what fixed what, completes the thread IMO. :)

Glad it's all fixed up! On somebody elses tab at that. smilietease

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Got the update on the truck for ya..
Got it back today , good as new,
The vibration was caused by the Pinion rubbing the carrier , it rubbed so much it made a hump on it, causing it make a vibration , I forgot to bring the camera to take pics of it at the Transmission shop, you guys wouldn't believe that it was still running by the looks of it.I had a used rear-end from another truck put in , drum to drum , nice and painted looking new.NO VIBRATION!!!

Heres what was done to the truck while it was off the road:
Rebuilt tranny , ( bad diagnosis)
Oil pan was loose ,fixed small leak I had:)
New u-joints (3)
New carrier bearing
Transplanted rear-end
All at a cost of 3200$$
Had the engined tested for compression and computer checked for codes , everything was great there.

Just glad to have it back!!:ola:

I hate to say it but thats cheap .. Around here its $2500+ just for tranny and no warrenty Thats extra.

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
I hate to say it but thats cheap .. Around here its $2500+ just for tranny and no warrenty Thats extra.

The full rebuild was quoted at 2500 + tax , but when he opened the tranny , it was in good shape , so he went with a basic rebuild , whats the difference between the Basic and full , i don't know . but I trust him.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts