Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Got to drive a 4.9L M5OD Today :)

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yup, just like the title says-- I was headed down to the store to grab a coffee for Trista and her dad says "hey why dontchu take my truck." I say-- hell yeah! LOL!! Larry helped me get him a tach cluster truck for Christmas, and he got it installed yesterday and I think this was his way of saying "Thanks. You're responsible for part of my truck now so you should have the chance to drive it."

So of course I get to the bottom of the driveway and I haven't gotten used to the clutch-- stalled it :rofl:

After that I did just fine. That clutch is REAL touchy compared to what I'm used to. The only stick shift I've driven in about the past 2 years (since I sold my 5-speed tacoma) is the MG, and the MG has a high idle so I don't even have to push the gas when I pull the clutch out :rofl:

Altogether-- it was a nice experience. I've always wanted to drive a truck like mine with a manual transmission. It definitely took some getting used to but I got it and liked it :) I even drove home holding the coffee cup in one hand cuz he doesn't have drink holders :rofl:

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
You mean to tell me, that your borrowed sombody's truck, drove BY YOURSELF, and didn't at least lay rubber from a stop light?

wow...how lame is that!?!? smilietease

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Aw cmon, it's my girlfriend's dad's truck; I got more respect than that.

Plus it's a stock 300 with 2.73 gears. I don't think it could lay rubber if she tried, lol.

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
I'm suprised it was so touchy.. because that's supposed to be more of a torque engine than mine. Honestly, I've never driven a manual that's as easy to drive as the one in my truck.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yeah I told him I had a tough time with the clutch and he told me Trista can't even drive his truck cuz she had so much trouble with the clutch.

Aw cmon, it's my girlfriend's dad's truck; I got more respect than that.

Plus it's a stock 300 with 2.73 gears. I don't think it could lay rubber if she tried, lol.

Ouch 2.73 gears.... :rofl2:

You didnt get a proper 4.9L experience then Chris, you need a 3.73 LS setup so you can lay rubber. :D

The M5OD is an awesome transmission, as long as the shift fork doesnt get bent or etc.

Paco

Tennessee Chapter member
I have a 92 with the same engine, tranny and gears.. I can lay rubber fine... and my clutch is that touchy too lol... I love driving my 92!smilietease

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Those can be fun . The norm for 300-6 here is 3:08 . And the clutch can be tricky in any combo.

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Yup, did you ever see the ad?

Well I'll tell you right now mine don't get those milage figures. More like 13mpg in town or highway. 10 most days, because it likes driving me to the poor house.

Chris I might seem manly or cool to have a standard, but I drive one everyday, it ain't no picnic when your stuck in traffic an hour or more and your clutch foot is dying for a break.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Well I'll tell you right now mine don't get those milage figures. More like 13mpg in town or highway. 10 most days, because it likes driving me to the poor house.
Chris I might seem manly or cool to have a standard, but I drive one everyday, it ain't no picnic when your stuck in traffic an hour or more and your clutch foot is dying for a break.

Thats a awful lotta crying, you sure you a Texan :p

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Lol, I know exactly what's involved with driving a stick. My tacoma was a stick shift and I drove that for 2 years before I got my current truck. I don't mind the clutch in traffic, or anywhere else for that matter :p

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Lol, I know exactly what's involved with driving a stick. My tacoma was a stick shift and I drove that for 2 years before I got my current truck. I don't mind the clutch in traffic, or anywhere else for that matter :p

I owned a Tacoma V6 with a 5 spd once (before they were called "Tacomas"). In no way, shape, or form does that drive like a full-size truck with a manual.

Big pass on the manual- I do too much in town stop-and-go driving. Did it years ago, no more.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
did you like the torqy six chris?

Ford Truck Articles