Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

gauges quit working

On my 1994 f150 5.0 v8 single cab 2wd my speedometer quit working, my overdrive flashes on and off, and my miles and trip quit working at the same time. Any ideas of what this could be?

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Vss. It's a sensor that is on the rear axle that reads the speed the axle is turning and that runs the speedo, overdrive, and tachometer, odometer.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Ford Power

I just checked and the only two sensors that I found on the rear axle was the one on top of the differential and then I followed a wire up to a bracket right above my rear axle where the other sensor is. Which one would it be the one on the diff or the one above the axle?

Fellro

Staff member
It is the one actually on the diff. It reads a ring that is pressed on right beside the ring gear. The other is for the brakes.

I went to autozone and they told me that it was on the transmission. Is there a speed sensor on the transmission? Because I bought a speed sensor but they guys in auto zone told me that they are 110% sure that it is on the tranny is this right?

Fellro

Staff member
I worked there for 4 years, and the computers are wrong. You need to have them look up the abs sensor, and that will give you the right one. The guy you talked to is 100% wrong. There is no sensor on the trans for the speedo.
I know when I left there was a push to end hard copy catalogs in the stores, which leaves no way to double check the entries in the computer. I filed many catalog error notices... Unfortunately, they ignored me on this one.

I had a heck of time getting the number online, the AZ website is such a PITA sometimes. Anyway, SU2175 is the part number you need.

See, the issue I have with the guys falling for that sensor being the one is that there hasn't been a cable on the Ford trucks since 1991. Heck, my 92 ZF trans doesn't even have a hole in the trans for one.

Last edited:
Ok thanks. I'll try that then so i can take the sensor that they gave me back with the receipt and get it switched out for the correct part? Since you worked at autozone for four years do they take returns?

Fellro

Staff member
Yes, they will take it back. The receipt makes it much easier, but it can be done without it.

Had a situation where the brake hose on the front of my Neon was listed wrong. I tried for a long time to get that issue fixed, as it was right in the paper catalog, wrong in the computer. I finally submitted it through the website as a customer, and it didn't take long to get fixed... They had even put me in contact with the supplier, even though it was an internal issue... I just submitted this issue through the website, as I am tired of having to dig like that to find the correct part. It isn't just AutoZone either, had a hard time finding on Rock Auto too.

On my 92 F350, the original ZF trans doesn't even have a hole for a speed sensor to go.

I've had similar issues with Napa auto parts. One thing that happened with Napa was we got headlights for my moms car and they told us that the new brackets that came with the new head lights would work with it and we couldn't get them to work right so we took the entire car in there and they installed them for us and they completely busted the new head light because they tried to force it to fit in there even after we told them it wouldn't work. On the bright side we didn't end up having to pay a dime on either of the headlights or brackets but on the down side they couldn't seem to get anything right.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Look at fuse #18 under the dash.

Ford Truck Articles