Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Gas tank and fuel pump - Need some help

acom01

Pampas Flareside
Hi. Well last saturday i decided to take off the front gas tank that previous owner says he didn used for 3 years.
1st problem. i can´t take off the quick connector of the fuel hoses. The fuel hoses are steel braided with fittings, i take off some kind of secure clamp but it was impossible to take them off from the sending unit. So i take off the sending unit whit hoses and wires attached.
The tank was complety empty dry and clean, but has a big hole in one side.
It was saturday so nobody can fix it. I decided to make a test meanwhile, i put the tank in place again, fill with some fuel and try to start the engine.
With igniton on, the pump, sounds and stops, but when i crank the engine it didnt start. I change to rear one, and start inmediatly. again the front....igniton on...pumps sound...crank...nothing. No fuel arriving to the engine. So, whats you opinion? Not enough preassure? Is there some kinde of valve that switches the tanks not working?
I take the tank off again to take to a repair shop this week, open the sending unit and take off the pump. Test outise sounds ok.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
did the front pump sound different from the other? My front pump is in the process of dying and sounds significantly weaker, and gives me problems starting and running on that tank.

acom01

Pampas Flareside
Yes in the tank its sounds weaker than the rear one. I test outside with a pair of cables to the battery and runs good. But of course its not the working conditions under pressure. when I dissamble the sending unit wich have the pump inside i notice that there is a rubber sealing from where the pump expels the fuel and may be its not ok, so it loose presure.
The tank switch, only makes the rear or the front complete sistem works or ther is another valve that switchs the path for fuel from one tank or the other?.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts