Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

fuel tank upgrade. 20 gallons to 40 gallon

hey guys little update and a question. i got the f150 on the street, it rough but it now safe to drive. i finished rebuilding the front axle end to end with a posi unit. replaced all the brake lines, hard and soft as well as calipers rotors and pads. the hard lines are the stainless set from Jeff's bronco grave yard. worth the money. i did the wheel clinders and master/booster when i got the truck.

just been using her on the week ends now i know a ball joint wont brake off, the drive lines wont pogo stick, and i can stop hard with out maybe blowing a line. :Dsmiliepeelout

anyways the next item is to redue the full system up to the engine. this truck came with a 20 gallon fuel tank. can i just buy a a 40 gallon tank with 40 gallons straps and bolt everything up. or do i need to change somethings?

Attachments

• IMG_20160317_144316.jpg
  • IMG_20160317_143928.jpg
Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Are you referring to the tank behind the rear axle?
If so, I was looking at doing the same to mine at one point and I think the only things that needed to be changed wasnthe sending unti and the mounting straps.

thanks. time got look for parts :)

Fellro

Staff member
Not sure on the gen 6 if you swap in the tank or how it works for that. The aftermarket tanks do not come with a sump, you have to build your own. Another way it is being done is to use bronco tanks, but again not sure all the details to a gen 6.

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
LMC has a 38 gallon tank that comes with everything to do the upgrade including extensions for the straps and fuel sending unit.

I haven't used it myself but might be worth looking in to.

Fellro

Staff member
Better re-read the description. Comes with adapter kit to extend the existing or (to extend) new sending unit. It does appear to be pretty much bolt in beyond that. The seam fell just above the bottom of the frame rail on the 92 I put it in.

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
That's what I meant but I guess I didn't phrase it correctly :headbang:

Oh well, I know what I was trying to say:)

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
The one I did, other than the sender, was pretty much a bolt in deal. I had a hitch in the way to make it worse, and being the conditions I knew it would run in. I thought it smart to roll the seam flanges down... That made it a bit harder to work with, but it did go in. The bolts and spacers that came with it didn't work that good either, so I changed that up a bit. Been in use for a few years now working fine... Just be aware that it does hang down a ways if that is an issue for you.

Ford Truck Articles