Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Found an awesome Crew Cab for sale

Invest enough, and you could call it a "Highboy" too...:rofl2:

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I like those crew cabs also. That would be a great project.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Check this bad boy out!

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=692283&highlight=ford

Yeah it's got a few rough edges but DAYUM that could be an awesome truck.
If you think this rolling pile of miseries has only a few rough edges, you're also living in vulcan kookook scheim, the same scheim that dumbassed Bronco owner lives in.

I see a thrashed, stripper truck that's lived in the damp, rainy Pacific Northwest for lawd knows how long. So figure lots of hidden rust repair, undoing all the wrong scheiss that been done to it, including dumping all the Dai Nippon Toyota parts.

The cost to make this POS even decent will run someone over 10 grand.

And...when all is said and done, don't expect to get more than 8 MPG!

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Rust is more often caused by coastal sea salt in the air or salted roads in a snowy environment. An inland Oregon truck has neither of those problems...

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Rust is more often caused by coastal sea salt in the air or salted roads in a snowy environment. An inland Oregon truck has neither of those problems...
What you're describing is basically a "Beach Truck" with surface rust. Something that has lived along the coast.

That's not what I'm describing.

I've seen trucks of this vintage with rotting core supports, rusty floors and cab corners, cab supports hanging by a thread here in Los Angeles, where the amount of rainfall is usually less than 12 inches a year.

And...it hasn't snowed in LA LA Land since 1949.

I've owned over 300 old cars/trucks...so I can look at one..and tell within a few minutes what needs to be done and the cost to fix it.

I wouldn't buy this pile for any price..all it is...is a money pit.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Okay I'll humor you. What exactly indicates to you that this truck is rusted out?
It's beat all to hell, and if someone didn't give a damn about the exterior, you can bet the farm they did little in the way of rust prevention, or other maintainance.

You can humor me if you want to, but the bottom line is, I have faaar more experience then most anyone on any truck site. I've owned them, I've worked on them, and sold millions of dollars worth of parts for them.

I know about all the quirks and the nuances...and from years of experience, I can look at one and tell what's good and what ain't!

You all are hobbyists, with no Ford experience outside of owning a few old trucks.

I've been in the car hobby since 1956, and am a collector first, a parts man second. There ain't too many Ford parts guys into old cars.

During the 35 years I worked in the LA area, I only knew of one other person into this chit.

He nows owns Mustang Service Center in North Hollywood...we've been friends since 1973, so he'll prolly agree with you that I'm an argumentative grouchy old SOB!

But I'm right!

Last edited:

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Um, PNW trucks aren't that bad. I know I've owned a few.

that thing is in WAY better shape than my '70, cab looks to be in good shape, can't tell about the floors, the bed seems solid as there's no usual rust over the wells which is common on a older ford. Rockers on the doors are clean on the pass. side, can't tell about the drivers side though.

And I don't know what you've been smoking lately but the PNW is no where NEAR damp and soggy, its not called high desert for nothing, being that it's been 100+ and dry up that way for the past two and a half months...

Also, those old crew cabs are rare and more than likely will become collectors in the near future, who the hell cares about 8MPG...

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Well I live in the PA rust /salt zone and Have Built these crews .As a whole they have no more rust issues than any other truck style . Most here u get a cab,axles and frame for the $3500 . And go from there. Rust is to be expected we r used to it . They bring parts from that very same rainy area here all time.

Now I see bad fix on the door sill right away . But thats trivial. Everything looks solid from the 1 pic a waited for . Its the cobbed gears and 460 thats be the iffy part . trivial also

So yea it might take $10000 to make a show truck . But I want a truck to use and build as time permit. This would be a good one even if it didn't have floors.

I guess it means all the parts sales in the world don't help if u r out of area/State . And what we have to work with . The body is trival . Come to rust belt if u worry about few dents.

10 MPG so what its a 70's crew cab

From the guy whose first build (at 12) in 80 was a 70's F250 rust bucket . And counting friends rides about 20 70's era since. Counting my dad who owned these new and his years of builds.(built customs in the 60's )... who cares. I don't.

Skan just was showing what could be a nice build for someone.. Thanks

Keep been the grouchy Guy we need the amusement Right for u yep us no !

Last edited:

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
that actually looks like a cool truck to work on. granted i love working on old rusted trucks because it presents me with a challenge, instead of having everything "go as planned" nice find chris!

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Um, PNW trucks aren't that bad. I know I've owned a few.

that thing is in WAY better shape than my '70, cab looks to be in good shape, can't tell about the floors, the bed seems solid as there's no usual rust over the wells which is common on a older ford. Rockers on the doors are clean on the pass. side, can't tell about the drivers side though.

And I don't know what you've been smoking lately but the PNW is no where NEAR damp and soggy, its not called high desert for nothing, being that it's been 100+ and dry up that way for the past two and a half months...

Also, those old crew cabs are rare and more than likely will become collectors in the near future, who the hell cares about 8MPG...
No Ford truck from 1957 and later will ever be worth much more than 20 grand, and that's peanuts compared to what some of the cars from the same era are worth. The price of gas is causing ppl to dump these gas hogs, and if the price of gas continues to climb, the entire old car hobby will be affected.

I've spent time in the PNW, lived on Vashon Island at one time, The last time I was up there (9/2006), I saw the same things I did in the 1950's...damp weather, rain and fog.

The only high desert as you call it is 50 some miles east of the coast in some places, further in others.

What some of y'all have never realized is these trucks (especially Crew Cabs) weren't bought as daily drivers like the stuff made today. Many have been worked to death because that was what they were bought for...for work.

This particular CC was prolly owned by a company like Weyerhauser, and has seen more back roads than a park ranger. From what I see, it's thrashed, modified beyone belief, and the cost to make it nice again will run far more than it's worth.

4 grand, and it's still available...why? Because the bottom has dropped out of the full sized pickup market, whether old or new.

The days are fast approaching when none of these old trucks will be worth much of anything.

Last edited:

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Well I know of only 6 77-79 crews that still could be redone and I cover a large area. Most look just as bad and would cost just as much to buy. They r rare And I know of 2 straight in need of love trucks selling for $6000+ .SO What about cost Most F series puritans here would never get what they have in there truck back. The70's truck still sell here for respectible amounts and don't sit long . Course its a truck area.

Its not a restore thing its own a rarity thing . Or in most cases just a neat truck

Last edited:

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
And I've lived in the northwest for close to 23 years and very rarely see something that ain't worth fixing, parts are cheap and readily available.

I don't see anything on that truck that shows it to have been seriously abused, fenders are a bit dented but the frame is straight, the axles aren't way out of alignment, the frame itself is pretty clean with a little surface rust here and there.

Tires look to have a few miles on them, and the wear is even on both sides, along with all four tires have even tread on them.

By your definitions BOTH my '91 Toyota and my '93 F-150 aren't worth over $100, they both have some body damage, paint is faded, and they've spent all their lives in the PNW, that makes them worthless piles, right?

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
By your definitions BOTH my '91 Toyota and my '93 F-150 aren't worth over $100, they both have some body damage, paint is faded, and they've spent all their lives in the PNW, that makes them worthless piles, right?

Me thinks he needs to get out in rural area and rust areas little bit to see prices . We still enjoy fixing things. Parts is cheap crew cab frames and cab r not.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
i can tell you right now ive put WAY more money into my truck then what i originally bought it for and ive done ALL the work myself. i keep putting money into it because i love it to death! i would buy that truck and turn it into a daily driver/offroad rig where you can haul a few people and some gear and go camping in the far back woods. when i look at a truck(or any "rough" looking vehicle for that matter) i think what can i turn this into. not how much mpg's it will have or how much it will be worth in the end. i have the satisfaction of taking something like that crew cab and turning it completely around into something useful and awesome in my own eyes.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
i can tell you right now ive put WAY more money into my truck then what i originally bought it for and ive done ALL the work myself. i keep putting money into it because i love it to death! i would buy that truck and turn it into a daily driver/offroad rig where you can haul a few people and some gear and go camping in the far back woods. when i look at a truck(or any "rough" looking vehicle for that matter) i think what can i turn this into. not how much mpg's it will have or how much it will be worth in the end. i have the satisfaction of taking something like that crew cab and turning it completely around into something useful and awesome in my own eyes.

Well put . Same here .

We r not looking for a truck to be worth $50000 . We drive them .

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
My truck won't be worth nothing when I'm done with it and I'll have over 25K invested. When I got the truck for $100 I never knew the body was shot until I took it apart. But, I found a decent cab right away and then went from there. I'm building it cuz I always wanted too. I'm not doing ALL the work. I have a friend doing the body work cuz he's awesome at it and my brother is helping me build the motor. I love it and I know It won't be worth anything and it will get crappy MPG. I also figured I'm just bringing back to life a truck that could've went to scrap. Probably in another 10 years, most all these trucks (that haven't been restored) will all be crushed for the very reason they aren't worth anything and more and more people don't care about older vehicles. They see $$$ signs for scrap metal and worry about MPG's.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles