Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

First Ford truck! Questions... (1984)

...OK, this one will probably be l o n g so bear with me:

I just brought home my very first F-150 (my dream since I was a little girl) and have every intention of restoring it and making it my own. I am a bicycle mechanic by trade (funny, I know) and would very much like to get in to working on cars as well so I am going to do as much myself as possible.

The body and frame are good, no apparent mechanical problems.

My new favorite truck is an '84 2wd running an inline six, 179k, with a standard four speed transmission. All I really needed to get it rolling was a valve cover gasket, a tie rod end and some brake work (will be finished tomorrow.)

So, with all of that squared away, here are my (blatant) newbie questions, and trust me, there will be more where these come from...

1) The clutch on this truck works well, but I would like to have it replaced as a precautionary measure. Can you recommend a really good one that will last and deliver in the performance department?

2) Can anyone help in suggesting methods to combat Pennsylvania rust? Undercarriage treatments? Products? Habits?

3) Somebody suggested to me that synthetic oil would be bad for my engine. Another person went as far as to suggest diesel oil (!?) -- what oil should I use?

4) It seems to me that my truck should sit higher than it does, but I don't want it to look silly. I am thinking about putting new leaf springs in there. What else might I consider?

5) I am pretty sure my truck is more or less stock. What can I do to upgrade it and boost performance while keeping it close to original?

6) Any users from Pittsburgh? Is there a salvage yard in the area you can recommend?

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers from Pittsburgh! - Anya

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
1) I'd suggest anything Summit has to offer, would be able to take what you throw at it...here are a few options:
http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...1+4294840102+115+4294908312&Ntk=KeywordSearch

2) All I could recommend is strip it down and use rust bullet, zybart, POR or on the cheap...truck bed liner...and I've also heard of folks spraying down their underside with WD-40 or Pam...the WD wicks away water, and the Pam reflects it.

3) On an engine that old and worn, I'd stay away from synthetics. I'd suggest a 10w40 or if you're blowing blue or leaking anywhere, maybe then bump up to 20w50

4)Springs sound good...they're probably just sagging from age. I'd also recommend getting all new hardware that's associated, just so you don't risk something breaking or sheering.

5) Headers (probably Clifford brand), intake, cam, carb, exhaust. Not exactly sure on what specs you'd need, never built a 300.

6) Sorry can't help you there.

PS welcome aboard, great to have another girl here. Enjoy, and I'm sure someone can go more in depth on my answers, or I could if need be.

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Welcome Anya! Ready for my amateur opinion on a few of those questions? :rofl:

1) I've heard good things about LuK clutches.

2) I've heard of people spraying used motor oil on their undercarraige to help contain/prevent rust. Also if you're feeling up to it, scrape off the excess and use POR-15 (paint-over-rust) or Eastwoods Rust Encapsulator.

3) Don't switch from dino to synthetic oil on a high mileage engine (I'm assuming it's high mileage). It'll most likely create leaks. Maybe not, but it's not worth the risk.

4) Is it 2wd or 4wd? 2wd trucks will sit a little lower. It's quite possible that the the leaves are starting to sag. If it's 4wd then you could always install a lift kit and kill two birds with one stone.

[highlight]EDIT: [/highlight]Saw that it's a 2wd--- like Ben said, I'd put new stock springs in it and then if you want some more height then you can look into a 2wd lift kit.

5) We'll need some more info about the truck to answer this question. Engine, tranny, year, drivetrain (2wd or 4wd), gears, etc.

[highlight]EDIT: [/highlight]Whoops just noticed you posted the specs :rofl: The first performance mods you should take care of are tune up and exhaust. I know a tuneup isn't technically a performance modification but when the components are old and weary it can boost the performance and the mileage CONSIDERABLY. Plugs, wires, cap/rotor, fuel filter, air filter, etc.

6) We do have several members from PA. Check out the PA Chapter, Larry (Lost) is the leader YelloThumbUp

Once again-- Welcome to FTF :wavey:

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Chris a little update...just checked her profile, it says it's a 2by...so with that said, I would either go with new springs, because yours probably are sagging. I've also heard of folks swapping in a 250/350 front end to achieve an extra 2-3" of lift, and then either new springs or a block in the rear to level it out. I also know there are lift kits out there for your truck, but I know nothing about them or where to get them. But if it were me, I'd just go with new stock springs.

Chris...it also says in her post that it has 179k on the clock...so yeah I'd definitely stick with dino oils.

Anya, I was making the assumption that when you said performance you were strictly talking about engine go fast parts...so if you don't mind, please expound on what areas you're looking for a performance boost. It would also help if you told us what you planned on doing with the rig so we can dial in what will help you the best.

Thanks for the quick response, guys! I will look in to what you said and will check back for more responses later.

Stay tuned for pictures and more questions from my truck adventure!

Cheers!

Ben, I would definitely like to look in to making the truck as fast and powerful as possible for an old six. I would also like to come as close as possible to having this truck hang around for another 179k, as I am already quite attached to it.

Should I replace any wear items now?

I would also like to see dual exhaust hanging there, or is that too much?

Thanks - A

Last edited:

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Its not to much, but is not gunna sound to good IMHO...
The 300 doesn't like to rev to high... i think 3500 is its max if im not mistaken...
It really depends on how much money you want to spend on it, but i have seen several 300's that have been turbo'd...
That would be fun...
As for the rust its been covered...
A tune up would be a good idea.
If your clutch is still working fine, dont mess with it.
They are not fun to change, but it wouldn't hurt to get the parts handy incase it does go out.

Ben, I would definitely like to look in to making the truck as fast and powerful as possible for an old six. I would also like to come as close as possible to having this truck hang around for another 179k, as I am already quite attached to it.

Should I replace any wear items now?

I would also like to see dual exhaust hanging there, or is that too much?

Thanks - A

Dual exhausts are awesome. If it was legal in California I would already have mine (old six like yours) with dual headers with 3 cylinders for each exhaust. First thing I would do to that besides the exhaust would be to replace the measily POS 1bbl carb thats on the truck with a Holley or Edelbrock 4bbl... you will be much happier, and your power output will probably go up by 30%. YelloThumbUp

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Grats on the first Ford purchase! A wise investment my dear :)

However, I have to agree with Truckin cause my dad had an '83 F250 with an I-300 (I learned to drive with it - standard trans fun stuff) and it just isn't a powerhorse you wanna hear duals out of. It's more of a workhorse and yeah it'll pull your house down but with only one manifold it'll never be true duals anyway.

Now if you ever wanna swap a 302 into it (which would be pretty easy) then you'd be good to go ;)

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Sorry I missed this one.
If you want to get rid of rust for ever use this stuff
http://www.magnetpaints.com/underbody.asp
It's some of the best paint ever made beats out POR rust bullet and every thing else.
As for go fast goes that 300 isn't going to go fast, its a tractor engine the amount of money you would have to drop in to that engine would be more then the truck is probably worth (no offense) you can put on headers and a new intake and this and that but at 179K it would really be a waste of your hard earned money but its all up to you.
You can drop a 302 or 351 for around the cost of getting that engine rebuilt I don't even think there is any high speed parts made of a 300 if there is I've never seen them.
But to make that engine last as long as you can, I say take her for a tune up i'm sure it could use a timing belt new Dizzy cap and rotor, plugs, and wires fuel filter PCV valve check all your vac lines for leaks or brittleness a bad vac like can cause hell.
I know as far as Oil goes I've all ways used Royal P even when I got my blue truck I changed her over to full syn and I would still have the original engine if my fuel pump hadn't broke and filled my engine with gas, any ways changing over to full Syn does not make your engine leak oil, a good full syn oil will make old seals swell up closing some leaks I watched this happen on my friends 86 bronco my blue truck and my 94 bronco.
Any ways that's just my .02 pesos.. good luck and its great to have you..

Last edited:
That's an understatement. If you're gonna have the bread to spend that much money on an I-300, I'd just swap in a V8 lol

I hate to hear that. 300 is awesome. ;)

300 is great with dual exhaust and many people who have driven comparable 302s like the 300 better. I know a guy who modded his 300 pretty good, and it was faster than his brothers 5.4L. 300 has potential.

flathead95hp

Always a Ford Guy
You may be able to "cheat it a bit" and go from one muffler to dual pipes. That way you get the "dual look" without all the effort of splitting the pipes at the manifold. Just a thought.

You may be able to "cheat it a bit" and go from one muffler to dual pipes. That way you get the "dual look" without all the effort of splitting the pipes at the manifold. Just a thought.

Thats why you use a header/headers....

If you go 2x 3pipe headers you can have true dual exhaust... :)

Fellro

Staff member
I will say that if you intend to go after the clutch replacement ( I too would wait until this one goes out, they do tend to last a long time usually) I definitely recommend a LuK. I put one in my diesel and am tickled to death with it, and had done a LuK dual mass conversion on a friend's diesel and they love it.

For anything you ever wanted to know about a ford six(be it a small block or big block like yours) check out www.fordsix.com . Believe it or not a I-6 will sound just as good as a V-8, and duel exhaust is VERY doable.

Welcome to the site!!!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts