Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

FE vs. Y-Block (moved posts)

Where is Bill or Dennis when you need them? One of them would know for sure when the FE was available...

Yeah, im surprised they havent chimed in by now...

I never knew that the FE was technically a Yblock engine, kinda neat to know. ;)

Ill take pictures of my 390 tomorrow and post them, too tired tonight... long day.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
smiliehijacked Are you sure it is a 63? I thought they did not start using that until 64. I thought the cars had the Y-block still through 63. The trucks had the Y-block until 64.

Just curious.

Now...back to your regular thread.:)

I just got done working on at 62 T-bird at work with the original 390 under the hood. :wavey:

Fellro

Staff member
Brian, looking at the pics, the FE has quite a few differences,biggest one being heads. The intake actually ends under the valve covers on the FE's. The valve covers themselves bolt on at the edges.I can't tell much more from the pics you put up, but the block actually extended below the main caps, although they didn't tie in to the block (Should of, would have been more stable, and made all that extra cast worth having there...)

Cool! Thanks for posting the pics.

He will need to do some serious cleaning when he drops it in. Those open carbs will be full of dirt and dust.

Any idea of what they are?

I have seen the 3 duece setup on a couple of Y-blocks as well as a couple of dual quads on them. Never seen one run in person though.

Cool! Thanks for posting the pics.

He will need to do some serious cleaning when he drops it in. Those open carbs will be full of dirt and dust.

Any idea of what they are?

I have seen the 3 duece setup on a couple of Y-blocks as well as a couple of dual quads on them. Never seen one run in person though.

They are edelbrocks, I know that. The engine always has a huge stack of towels and different old blankets and clothes and stuff, nothing getting in through there.

They were an option on the 63 until half way through the model year. The stock units were like $3000 when he bought these edelbrocks (15 years ago) and him and his brother bamboozled some guy into selling the edelbrocks for $150... :D smilietease

This FE390 is gonna run GOOD. Especially with the Bore and stroke to about 420ci, polished ports, full balancing, new Crankshaft, oh man I am blanking on so much else too... it will probably come out to around 425-450HP.

It has a C6 on the other side of the garage that it was mated to, however would something like an E4OD hook up to it as well? Something more modern with an Overdrive or two?

Fellro

Staff member
I thought they looked like Carter carbs, which is what Edelbrock builds their on.

Ford Truck Articles