Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

FE vs. Y-Block (moved posts)

......My dad has a 1963 FE390 sitting on the floor of the garage ready to go into a Tbird........

smiliehijacked Are you sure it is a 63? I thought they did not start using that until 64. I thought the cars had the Y-block still through 63. The trucks had the Y-block until 64.

Just curious.

Now...back to your regular thread.:)

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
smiliehijacked Are you sure it is a 63? I thought they did not start using that until 64. I thought the cars had the Y-block still through 63. The trucks had the Y-block until 64.

Just curious.

:ban:

Jk :horseshit:

Just curious.

Trust me, I am completely sure. It came out of a 1963 Thunderbird (C6 Trans), and the 390 was the base engine since before '61 in the Tbird. The Yblocks were still in the trucks, my dad even had a 1960 F100 with a 292 back in high school. Im not an expert, but I try to learn some things. :)

Thats fine that you asked, I do the same thing. :p

The birds always were different. :suspicious:

The trucks had them until 64. At least I have never seen or heard of a stock one with an FE block.

The 58-60 Thunderbirds were offered with the FE 352 V8, before the 390 was even thought of (thanks wikipedia), in addition to the 430 MEL V8. Turns out the original factory "six-pack" carburetors were a very rare option, and very expensive today, compared to just getting an Edelbrock... :suspicious:

Hmm, ford has always been weird with their engine families, choices, and designations.

No kidding. The FE is actually still a Y-block...if you look at the two side by side. They just stopped calling it that for some reason.

Restorers are fanatic about original parts. The t-bird group are pretty bad about that. They would rather find an original part...than buy a reproduction or a modern part.

I am semi that way under the hood. I want it to look stock (even with new parts).

No kidding. The FE is actually still a Y-block...if you look at the two side by side. They just stopped calling it that for some reason.

Restorers are fanatic about original parts. The t-bird group are pretty bad about that. They would rather find an original part...than buy a reproduction or a modern part.

I am semi that way under the hood. I want it to look stock (even with new parts).

Well yeah, if my dad ever gets around to the project (with marriage comes the burden of time, money, and resources, away from fun stuff... :( ) he wants to keep it looking totally stock and classy, but to have modern touches (remote CD changer for instance) hidden away. Under the hood, he had the valve covers chromed (well technically not under the hood, the engine is on blocks) as well as all of the other modifications that have been done. Shows like "Pimp my Ride" and stuff are kind of a shame because I like seeing cars the way they were intended to, not all messed up. ;)

Since we (I started it) managed to get so far off topic here and clutter his thread....sorry

I asked if one of the mods could split us off of this thread. :)

Ah, alright. Cool. :)

Last edited:
Looks like someone moved it. I forget and chat in someone's thread sometimes.

I know they do not like that.

Anyway, Mine looks pretty close to stock (just 52 years older) under the hood. Sometime when you think about it...snap a pic of your dads engine.

Bill found a replacement fuel pump for mine (glass bowl), as well as a crank pulley (NOS) that I need to put power steering on. I have the pump, pump pulley, all the brackets (repops), and the reservoir now for mine.

I still need to find the under car parts of it (54-60 full size ford) and then adapt it to my truck. If I can make it all work...it should look stock (even though it was not an option on mine).

EDIT: Thanks Chris.

Looks like someone moved it. I forget and chat in someone's thread sometimes.

I know they do not like that.

Anyway, Mine looks pretty close to stock (just 52 years older) under the hood. Sometime when you think about it...snap a pic of your dads engine.

Bill found a replacement fuel pump for mine (glass bowl), as well as a crank pulley (NOS) that I need to put power steering on. I have the pump, pump pulley, all the brackets (repops), and the reservoir now for mine.

I still need to find the under car parts of it (54-60 full size ford) and then adapt it to my truck. If I can make it all work...it should look stock (even though it was not an option on mine).

Yeah will do Brian. :) (I can warn you though, my pictures look like I have Tourettes syndrome, and Parkinson's disease at the same time... smilietease)

That would look great if you could make the power steering look stock. I think it was an option on the Thunderbirds, and I don't think this one has it. Something can be said for a classy restoration, and its only a restoration if it is put back to the way its intended to be. :) YelloThumbUp

EDIT: Im tired, and its late here (especially since I am getting up at 5AM). Take it easy brian. Goodnight. (checking thread in the mornin')

Last edited:
Well yeah, if my dad ever gets around to the project (with marriage comes the burden of time, money, and resources, away from fun stuff... :( ) he wants to keep it looking totally stock and classy, but to have modern touches (remote CD changer for instance) hidden away. Under the hood, he had the valve covers chromed (well technically not under the hood, the engine is on blocks) as well as all of the other modifications that have been done. Shows like "Pimp my Ride" and stuff are kind of a shame because I like seeing cars the way they were intended to, not all messed up. ;)

I feel the same way. I hate seeing an old vehicle chopped up and messed up (at least they look like it to me). I do not mind modifying one for safety, comfort, reliability, etc at all.

As far as "PMR", I only recall them screwing up one cheby shoe box (mid 50s somewhere). Mostly they hacked up imports. At least the few I saw.

Mine is not quite stock elsewhere. I have carpet, a headliner, autometer gauges, power brakes, dual reservoir master cylinder, vacuum reservoir, radial tires, etc. The brakes stuff is hidden under the cab and just makes it a lot safer for as much as I drive it.

Eventually, I will have power steering and seat belts.

Mine will never be a show truck, but it is driven.

I feel the same way. I hate seeing an old vehicle chopped up and messed up (at least they look like it to me). I do not mind modifying one for safety, comfort, reliability, etc at all.

As far as "PMR", I only recall them screwing up one cheby shoe box (mid 50s somewhere). Mostly they hacked up imports. At least the few I saw.

Mine is not quite stock elsewhere. I have carpet, a headliner, autometer gauges, power brakes, dual reservoir master cylinder, vacuum reservoir, radial tires, etc. The brakes stuff is hidden under the cab and just makes it a lot safer for as much as I drive it.

Eventually, I will have power steering and seat belts.

Mine will never be a show truck, but it is driven.

They were built to be driven, and they should be. Things like safety equipment, and small modernized/classy luxury touches are great as long as it doesn't spoil the look, feel, or character of the vehicle.

A family friend has a 1956 F100 (Bright yellow) with a V8, and he restored it nice (well, except for the Mustang II front end), and drives it alot. The seats are upgraded with better foam, and things like seatbelts and headliner/visors were installed. I guess you really have to strike a balance and be careful if modifying things.

Mine has the original rear view mirror. It has the original visor arms. However, my visors are out of some later ford. Just installed on the old arms. No clue what they are off of.

100_0234.jpg

Oh...my outside mirrors are not stock either. They look similar to the real truck mirrors they used back then....not the little car mirrors eveyone uses now.

DSCF0925.jpg

These are borrow pics from the net, but...

This is what the power steering pump will look like (and I want rams horns-came on F-600 and up):

93895_520.jpg

This is the factory color of the engine and parts (someday maybe):

111829_520.jpg

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I'm with you guys on this one. I love to see older vehicles that look stock. Safety and convenience items added on are great when you can make them appear like they have been there since the factory. That's why I love your plan for the power steering Brian.

And Conner, It's refreshing to see a younger guy that feels the way you do about making them appear factory.

It may sound strange, but I like the looks of a cleaned up factory air cleaner way better than any chrome replacement on an older vehicle. Little things like that catch my eye.

I have never owned a 292/312 y block. I have had a few FE blocks, a 352, a 390, and a 410. I loved the valve covers on the 410 because they had "Mercury" in script on them.

Aren't the modular motors a y block design? I thought I heard that. Now I'm curious.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I really like your truck too, Brian. I'd like to have a '53 with the flathead v8 and do it the same way you are - stock looking, but with a few upgrades.

Also, AFAIK, the FE has been around since 1958.

Conner said that it was around in the t-birds in 58 (available at least). I was not aware of that.

I agree tony. I wish I could find a factory oil bath air cleaner for mine. I am designing a custom one for mine....if I can ever afford the machining cost. No...won't look stock, but.....

Ford Truck Articles