Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

fan blade spacing?

Hello again guys. I put a new water temp sending unit in my 360 today and the temp is right where it needs to be; about a little less than center on the gauge.
But the temps here where I live in Tennessee have been in the mid 60s the last few days. The fan blade is about 6 inches away from the back of the radiator right now. I don't know how it got that way because that's the way it was when I bought it. I have to get the blade closer to the radiator. That means I can do one of two things: I can get a really long blade spacer or I could install an electric fan system. LMC Truck catalog has one but I don't know if it is good enough for the large radiator I have. Does anybody else have any suggestions? I know that when it gets really hot here I will be glad I took care of this now....

Thanks, Donald

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I agree with Frank..and the factory gauge is somewhat ambiguous...anywhere in the normal operating range is fine.

Fellro

Staff member
The fan can be 12" away as long as you have a shroud. Run without a shroud and you need to be as close as you can.

Oh ok. It has no shroud. Which at the time I thought was peculiar but it does stay cool. Smokey, if it was about 7 inches away on your 74' then that would put mine right in there. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for the replies!!!
Donald.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Dennis Carpenter Restorations carries a decent selection of shrouds...you might want to check them out.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I agree, get a fan shroud and that should be all you need. I would also recommend maybe getting a mechanical gauge for better accuracy if concerned about temp.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts