Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

F250 Light Duty diesel ?

Quick question guys - Did the Gen 9s come out in LD form and if they did were they available in diesel?
Reason i'm asking is that to keep a USA spec truck on the road here it needs to be under 7700 lb glw or else you have to convert it to rhd plus it then is classed as a heavy vehicle and the 6 monthly safety check is more comprehensive and a heap more expensive.

Fellro

Staff member
92-94.5 MY were the 7.3 IDI, some were factory turbo. At 94.5, the early Powerstroke came out. These were used to 98 when the diesels took a little hiatus. They came back in the new body.

primetime

sawmill slave
Gen 9 F-250s were available as light duty (under 8600 gvw). But if I remeber right, in 94 Ford made them all 8600 trucks to simplify the ordering process and what not. That`s what I remember reading any how. Whether or not you could still get a light duty F-250, I don`t know, but they may or may not be a special little snowflake. And diesels and 460`s were over 8600 gvw options.

Fellro

Staff member
I guess it depends how you define "light duty" in that to me, all pickup types are light duty. Medium duty is 450 and up. That is my definition... Also many parts books follow that separation.

Fellro

Staff member
Just re-read, it would be the old flat flange, not the big hub type. Thinking that to be a no... Even my 351W has the heavier axle.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
The only light duty f250 was 97-99/00 if I remember, f250LD is the new body style. They had the F150 HD which was a 7700 gvw, and the F250 LD which was the same 7700, 7 Lug and super lame! They didnt make them too long.

Fellro

Staff member
I have seen one of those, looked like the new body F150...

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I had a light duty 97 f250 new body style as a work truck at work. It had the 4.6L in it. With the 7 lug wheels. They bought it as a plow truck told then I wanted a F250 they got it but they might a well bought a f150 because it was light duty.

Thanks for the replies guys - the weight ratings are all different here . A 2008 Ranger Diesel has a load rating of 2500 lb and a tow rating of 6600lb - most of the Japanese based utes are like this - i just wanted to be different that's why i was asking question about availability of LD diesel.
The only USA diesel pickup you can register out here without rhd conversion of COF rating is C/K1500 6.5 diesel :(

primetime

sawmill slave
I`ve had 6800, 7700, and 8600 gvw F-250s. That is going by what the sticker in the door jamb said. The 6800 was an 88 with a 302, aod, 4.10ls, and 8 lug semi float (flat flange as Roger called it) axles. The 7700 was an 89, 351, c-6, and semi float axle. These were all gen 8 (87-91) trucks. And right before I bought the F-250 I have now I was hot and heavy for an 87 I had found. 351 HO, c-6, 4x4. 6800 gvw. That was where I balked. That and all the stuff that needed fixed.

Which is the long way of saying that from what I`ve seen, engine had nothing to do with whether or not they had a semi-float or full-float rear axle. Only gvw. Take it for what it is worth.

Roger. I agree with you on the designation. However, the problem lies with a manufacturer that has three different weight class F-250s, with four different axles (Dana 44hd, Dana 50, 10.25 semi or full float), and different u-joints if they were 351 or 460, and 2.5 or 3 inch rear brakes. And they wonder why they are broke? And then they attach "Heavy Duty" badges on them while they phase them out, meanwhile marketing a new body 7 lug F-250 side by side.

Kiwi Mark. That doesn`t surprise me about the c/k 6.5s. They were the only half ton diesels available here.

It goes on an age and weight rating over here Andy - if its 20 years old or older and under 3500kg glw then no need for conversion , if its newer it has to pass emissions laws which mean that it has to be 2008 or newer and be converted to rhd.

A friend of mine just converted his 2005 Chev 2500HD diesel and it cost him just under $25000.00 - he owned it for 5 years in the States as he travels there for work during the seeding season and shipped it out last year before the emissions laws changed.

Last edited:

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
25g, that truck isnt worth 1500! JUNK

It goes on an age and weight rating over here Andy - if its 20 years old or older and under 3500kg glw then no need for conversion , if its newer it has to pass emissions laws which mean that it has to be 2008 or newer and be converted to rhd. A friend of mine just converted his 2005 Chev 2500HD diesel and it cost him just under $25000.00 - he owned it for 5 years in the States as he travels there for work during the seeding season and shipped it out last year before the emissions laws changed.
25k is a lot cheaper than doing them here, they are closer to 50k wonder if they meet aust rules?

25k is a lot cheaper than doing them here, they are closer to 50k wonder if they meet aust rules?

Just escapes my memory at the moment Andy but there is one rhd kit manufacturer that exports it's kits to Aussie - i'd imagine it's not the quality of the kit but the red tape bureaucracy that makes your prices so high.
Over here if you want to do your own rhd conversion there is nothing to stop you , it just needs to go through a low volume certification process like this.

http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rc...=OIUzIZXIeO8Ty5otEzKXow&bvm=bv.69620078,d.dGI

Or this

http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rc...=CtnINyGVg6DQDoXRGbSz1g&bvm=bv.69620078,d.dGI

I guess if you knew someone who wanted one the best thing to do imo Andy would be to organise the vehicle to be sent to NZ , converted and then registered so that it becomes a motor vehicle in the eyes of the law , then import it into Aussie.

The guy that engineered my brothers truck when we "modified" that has an approval to do low volume f450s but he is veeeerry slow and would be a dated truck by the time it was done. So that may be a better option! Are there people around your area that does them or on the north island?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts