Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Extra Cap Pan or Wrong Dipstick?

Hey guys I have a problem I'd like to see if ya'll know anything about.

I bought a 78 SC 4x4 last month and it has a 351m in it. I changed the oil this weekend and after 6 quarts of Mobile 1 it was still not showing on the stick. I went back and grabbed two more quarts and it took both of them to put it right on the dipstick.

I checked the oil before I changed it and it was right where it should be and then it took EIGHT quarts to get it back again?!?!

My question is do I have a high capacity oil pan or what? I was guessing it would/should take 5-6 quarts to fill it up but 8 has me wondering if I've over filled it and I've got the wrong dip stick.

Thoughts?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Have any pics of either the pan or the dip stick? If it's a stock oil pan, there's not really a flat spot on it, typically on aftermarket pans, the bottom is a flat square or rectangle. But you're right, you should only be at 6 qts with stock capacity. My thoughts, if you overfille by 2 quarts, there would be so much blowby you'd know something was wrong...so my guess is, an extra capacity pan.

I can take pics after I get home but it doesnt have a flat spot on it. Looks kinda like a double hump in the pan?

All the old oil has been disposed of already. At quart number 7 I was wishing I hadnt dumped it in the bulk tank yet.

It's not splashing or blowing oil out of anything. Heck I don't mind the extra cap pan if it has one, I just want to make sure.

This old truck has also had something welded/cut out from the front end. It looks like tube steel was welded to the frame and then cut off on both sides. I've never seen a plow set up since there isnt a big need for one down here but it's all I could think of. I'll take pictures and post them up when I get home.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Or you have a different pan. I've only ever seen dip sticks come out of the front of the block or the driver's side on a stock rig. Count your valve cover bolts, 8 of them is a 351M/400.

Fellro

Staff member
It definitely is an M, but the question would be if it is original or not... It will be a while, but I have two that I can look at to compare. I start classes tomorrow, and is an all day affair, so it won't be til Thursday at the earliest for me to get a look.

Looks orig to me & the dipstick is in the stock location (left side as wheen sitting in the truck)
My trucks always takes 7 qts to fill also.
john

What is the number stamped on the dipstick?

That looks like a e-series dipstick location to me

lostinfords

New Jersey Chapter member
2wd oil dipstick in front of engine 351m drivers side for 4wd rear sump oil pan...as Ben said ..extra capacity oil pan..my 78 bronco has the same set up..somehow I thought it was a 9 qt. capacity though, usually comes w/ heavy duty altenator and 4 core radiator also

2wd pic..notice front sump oil pan also

28ksn4h.jpg

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
On the dipstick is D7TE-6750-BA (ford in the oval) B
ID number: D7TE-6750-BA = Ford part number: D7TZ-6750-A .. Engine Oil Dipstick / 22.64" top of shield to safe / 23.40" top of shield to add 1 / 24.90" top of shield to end.

Fits: 1977/79 F100/350 351/400 4WD / 1978/79 Bronco 351M/400.

Last edited:
I was changing my thermostat out earlier and something caught my eye. My motor has BOTH dip sticks mentioned here. It has the truck version that runs down on the right side and it also has the car version on the timing chain cover on the left side but it looks to be bobbed pretty close and capped with a rubber cap.

My truck is nicknamed Frankenstein "Frank" for short, and rightfully so...

Dip stick tube in the front means that it originally either came out of a car or a 2wd. For the 4wd they had to change the pan for clearance of the front axel which uses the dip stick on the drivers side to reach the rear sump.

It's got both. The dipstick on the passenger side has a rubber cap on it and I think it has been cut down because I only noticed it a week or two ago after I posted this thread. The dipstick on the drivers side is the one I actually use.

Ford Truck Articles