Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

exhaust question

im thinking about putting some LT's on my truck soon..

are there bolts holding the manifolds on or are there studs in the block.. and in either case what is the likelyhood of them breaking?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Bolts right now, but it's usually easier to replace them with studs when you put on headers.

From the stories I've heard from other guys putting headers on their trucks, chances of breaking the bolts can be kinda high, especially if they've never been removed and they're rusty. Though I have heard several stores of LT swaps without any broken bolts. Seems like a gamble to me.

Fellro

Staff member
So far, in my experience, the bolts coming out of the manifolds tend to fair pretty well, but that varies by conditions they were run in. They usually are studs, as bolts can bottom and then you have inadequate pressure to hold the seal. Since they are a bit thicker, they seem to hold up pretty good. If you have access to an impact, I have found that the vibration and banging type action works pretty good on rusty bolts, while steady pressure from a ratchet or breaker bar tends to twist them off easier.

Now if we were talking Chevy, I would pretty much expect them to break... they are only 3/8" on them, and regularly do break off.. I would expect more trouble out of the bolts that hold the manifold to the head.
:edit:
Sorry for the misdirect, I was thinking the bolts out of the manifold, not the head bolts. Those many times are fine, but it can be a crapshoot... And for headers, definitely go studs when you replace them. The header bolts seem to be a battle to keep tight enough.

Last edited:

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
How do you bolts look in the big question? My 92's I just did, they all came out. I just sprayed with PB, had a beer or 2, and then went at it. I tighten 1st, then losen. You will know if they are gonna break or not. My 95 had no bolts left, it all just looked like 1 peice, the manifold and bolts were so corroded and I didnt break any. It was a pain to get them out tho.

Michigan
I had only one bolt break. Right flush with the head. That was so much fun! Glad that motors gone :) I agree with chris. Tighten first then loosen. You can defiantly tell if its going to break or not by feel. If you feel it then tighten it and keep work in it out the best you can.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Over years I have had several break . New ones that just snap and 200000 rusted ones (u know would break) come right out . Never can tell .

Good luck on swap

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts