Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Emergancy - Fuel Filter Help.

Bill, I've kept up with this thread out of curiosity. My 86 has the inline filter that you show for 87-89 instead of the paper filter canister.

It was built late in the model year in Canada. I've found my trans also wants 87 parts, but this is the first time I've noticed a difference on fuel system details.

Thanks for helping him out.
As I said most 86 did not have the in line filter. My 86 has the filter in the so-called fuel selector but I have only one tank on it so it is just a fuel reservoir.

Alright, another update. Grandpa came out with the battery charged up. We managed to get the truck running, but she's still acting like she's not getting a full fuel flow. So he loaned me the money to go get a new HP Pump.
I changed out the pumps, and we tried again, wont start at all.
Now, as for the three pumps, I can confirm that the new one is at least getting power, as I was under the truck when I had him turn the key to test it. I heard and felt it come on for one second exactly. Then we attempted the same thing with the tanks. I didn't hear anything, partly because we ran the battery down trying to start it again and his truck was nosed up to mine. But I did feel a vibration. That tells me that the pump works, right?
Tomorrow I'll change out the pumps again, see if the old one will let it start up again. If so, I get my 100 back lol. Also, it should be noted that my truck has both the inline (external) filter, as well as the one in the fuel selector valve filter. Is that normal?
Also, we got the strainer with the pump, however, I can not find anything in my Hayne's manual about it, even though I know I read it somewhere (Possibly online.) Where is it located so that I can change it out as well while I'm at this.
Subford, Mtflat, thank you both for helping me as much as you have so far. It means alot, and hopefully this will be fixed soon enough. Hell, hopefully it turns out to be something simple and nothing that'll cost me an arm and a leg lol.

I am sorry that you bought the pump as more than likely there was nothing wrong with the old one and it may be better than the new one.
That said what you should have done when you found that the old pump worked and if you believed that there was a fuel delivery problem was buy a fuel pressure gauge. By putting the fuel pressure gauge on the fuel manifold (rail), grounding pin #6 of the test connector with the key on the gauge would tell you if you have a fuel delivery problem or not.
The gauge then should read about 42 PSI for a good fuel system on a V-8 engine.

Others have said that they have both filters however my truck only has the one in the fuel reservoir.
Some 1986 and 1987 and newer have just the one in-line filter.

I have the feeling that some how this is going to turn out to be an Ignition problem but do not buy a lot of parts until we trouble shoot it with you or your going to spend a lot of money that you do not need too.

The fuel pressure gauge you may be able to rent from an auto parts store if not they are less that $50.00.
You can also get them for about $30.00 off Amazone dot com.

Last edited:
Well a couple of pages back, I posted some pictures from under my truck. Now they are cell phone pictures and not really good quaility, but you can see the external filter, and the one that requires the internal cartridge filter. (As well as a picture of what I now know to be the HP pump.

Tomorrow, well, today, I'll switch the pumps back, and if it does start up again, (Even if it doesn't, I'll claim the pump is defective and get my money back.) I'll call my grandpa before he comes over to see if he has one. I'll be honest, I think I'm going to abandon the truck and buy the 84 Caddy that a coworker has offered me. Can't afford to lose my job because of this, aint worth it.

Now, I do have a question though, how does an Ignition problem effect how the engine reacts to when you press on the gas pedal? (When it's running that is.)

blacksnapon

Staff member
Now, I do have a question though, how does an Ignition problem effect how the engine reacts to when you press on the gas pedal? (When it's running that is.)
If you're not getting enough spark to burn the fuel, it can feel like you're running out of gas.

You said in your first post that it ran for a few miles down the road and then it died. And later you said it started on the old pump and then died and would not start on the new pump.

Most of the time when a truck of that era does this it turns out to be the TFI module on the side of the distributor or the PIP sensor inside the distributor.

There is a thermal cutout inside the HP pump that will turn off the HP pump if it gets hot but this only happens when the pump runs with no fuel going through it to cool it.
In short if it gets the fuel pressure up to start it, it should run for a while but the ignition parts can heat up in a hurry.

You could also try to read the codes from the EEC computer, you do not have a check engine light on the dash in a 1986 truck but you can use a test light or a analog meter to get the codes. You use the test connector CEL pin for the meter or test light.

Also not related to your question is if you have a bad TP sensor and you open the throttle and the TP sensor does not tell the computer that you did the engine can die for lack of fuel.

Last edited:
Well, it's evolved to a situation that I have no choice but to give it back to my grandpa. He understands completely, and the guy I work with, with the 84 Cad, is coming by tomorrow. I want to thank you for your help, it's been most insightful. Maybe once I get on my feet and get to the point of where I'm not in danger of losing my job over car troubles, I'll give a Ford another chance.

Anyways, I'll still pop in from time to time. Audio equipment and installation is my specialty so I'll probably be seen there. Thanks again.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Sorry we couldn't help you get it sorted out - it can be a bit overwhelming when you first dive into these systems. We sure understand what you're up against. Good luck with the Cad and stick around. I've learned alot just by reading the forums.

Sadly enough, I've owned six cars/trucks before this cad, and while it is the ugliest car i've ever owned, it's also the best running.

I'll be around.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts