Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Emergancy - Fuel Filter Help.

Alright, My Ford has failed me.
Not too happy right now, couldn't make it to work.

Alright, Started it up, everything is fine, got about four miles down the highway and suddenly it started to have issues. Like she is out of gas. I know she has gas, got the rear tank nearly filled.
Called a Mechanic who is a friend of the family and he thinks it's the filter.
So, Since I can't possibly afford a pump, I'm gonna try that. It's reasonable since the truck had been sitting for a long time before I got to it.
Every time I try to start it, it turns, I know the battery is good, the alt is good, hell, both are new.
So that leaves the pump and the filter. I've got both an inline and cartridge filter with me, not sure which it takes. So, Either case, what am I looking for, what do I need to take with me tool wise, and etc.
Please help, I'll be checking back every five-ten minutes in hope that someone is on who can shoot me off some answers PDQ
Thanks.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
are you sure its a fuel issue and not a spark issue? i would think it would be uncommon but not impossible for it to be a bad filter

blacksnapon

Staff member
Alright, My Ford has failed me.
Not too happy right now, couldn't make it to work.

Alright, Started it up, everything is fine, got about four miles down the highway and suddenly it started to have issues. Like she is out of gas. I know she has gas, got the rear tank nearly filled.
Called a Mechanic who is a friend of the family and he thinks it's the filter.
So, Since I can't possibly afford a pump, I'm gonna try that. It's reasonable since the truck had been sitting for a long time before I got to it.
Every time I try to start it, it turns, I know the battery is good, the alt is good, hell, both are new.
So that leaves the pump and the filter. I've got both an inline and cartridge filter with me, not sure which it takes. So, Either case, what am I looking for, what do I need to take with me tool wise, and etc.
Please help, I'll be checking back every five-ten minutes in hope that someone is on who can shoot me off some answers PDQ
Thanks.
I believe it takes the metallic one. The lines are held on with plastic clips (they usually come in the box with the new filter).

It's not a spark issue, brand new spark plugs in it as well. She turns over just fine, just not getting any fuel to start up. (The few times it did start, she idled fine, but if I try to give it gas, it dies. So that, to me, and to the mechanic I talked to, says filter right?)

blacksnapon I got both just in case, I just don't know where to look to find either one. Not a Ford man by any means so this truck is the first I've ever had to actually work on. (Barring Batteries, Lights, and Oil changes.)

blacksnapon

Staff member
It's not a spark issue, brand new spark plugs in it as well. She turns over just fine, just not getting any fuel to start up. (The few times it did start, she idled fine, but if I try to give it gas, it dies. So that, to me, and to the mechanic I talked to, says filter right?)

blacksnapon I got both just in case, I just don't know where to look to find either one. Not a Ford man by any means so this truck is the first I've ever had to actually work on. (Barring Batteries, Lights, and Oil changes.)
The fuel filter will be inside the frame rails under the truck (usually on the driver side)

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
yup he is right. there are 3 fuel filters on these trucks (if it has 2 tanks). one on each pump and an inline pump on the frame rail right below the front of the drivers door

Since yours has been sitting...it really should have been changed a short time after driving it the first time. That applies to any brand of vehicle.

On your 1986 Ford Truck F150 1/2 ton P/U 2WD 5.0L FI , the Fuel Filter is located:
clearpixel.gif
Under vehicle, driver side, below seating area, rear of engine, mounted on frame rail in fuel line

They are a part of general maintenance on any vehicle. They should be changed once in a while. I tend to change them every 40K or so (no clue what the real recommendation is). I was left stranded in the deep snow once with a long walk because I never thought about changing one.

Now that all I can get is ethanol, I will be checking them more often even.

Alright, when I was out there, before I got a lift to the part store and back here so I could get my tools, I did look under there and I found the fuel pump, I looked at the new filter I got and I can't say that I saw that. Maybe I need to look towards the back more when I got back out there.

lol I was underneath the truck. Once I get back out there with a flash light, I'll find it I'm sure. Now, are we sure it's an external filter? Auto Zone came up with two, internal and external. What are the chances of mine being Internal?

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
i would believe yours is an external. i haven't seen an internal fuel filter on these trucks. i could be wrong though

blacksnapon

Staff member
lol I was underneath the truck. Once I get back out there with a flash light, I'll find it I'm sure. Now, are we sure it's an external filter? Auto Zone came up with two, internal and external. What are the chances of mine being Internal?
The internal one kind of looks like a sock. It attaches to the fuel pump inside the tank. The external filter should be roughly 3-4 inches long (not including the lines) and about 2-3 inches round (like a cylinder).

Yeah, I got one of each. Lets hope like hell it's the external one. Heading out there now to give it a go. Thanks for the info.

Update!: Didn't work. Means the pump is out. it's the only thing it could be.
I've got some pictures from my cell, I think I found the fuel pump? As well as something else, that honestly, I don't know what is. I'll post those in about 30 minutes, need to shower, got fuel on me. (Duh) and my hair is filled with rocks and gravel.

-NOT pleased.-

Ok, Bit longer then half an hour, but I got caught up in Fable II.

What are these?
3-2.jpg

4-1.jpg

Keep in mind these are at an angle. Hard to take a cellphone picture when your on your back on the side of the highway.
That second one, the black plastic cap(I guess?) is facing the ground.
The first one has a warning, "Pressurized Fuel System"

Last edited:

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Could be a faulty fuel crash shut off switch. They trip sometimes and turn the fuel pump off. press the reset button or run a test jumper (paperclip) over the terminals to be sure it hasn't tripped

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts