Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Electric fan Vs. Mechanical fan (split from Chris' e-fan thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Let's remain civil, everyone.

Ryan

Even though it is a "pure fact" it is still irrelevant.

It is a "pure fact" that the speakers in my home theater system are made by JBL back in the 1970s. Does that make it relevant? No. But it is a "pure fact". My point? You were talking about different fans flowing X amount of CFM at different RPMs, 1000 and 2000 to be exact. OK, fair enough. But the fans we are talking about don't peak in the useable RPM range of the motor, rather they continue to flow more as the RPM raises. Thus what you were saying is irrelevant, yet possibly true in some cases different from the discussion at hand.

you really know how to talk STRAIGHT through the anus..

what i pointed out is very true, and makes quite a bit of sense.. CFM output at 5k is useless.. you cant run the engine constantly at its peak RPM.. ull blow the motor.. whereas you can run the e-fan at its peak RPM as long as you want.. plus an e-fan motor can be re-build so much easier too..

go re-read my last post, you might learn a bit.. and yeh, my truck has 201k on it, thats pure fact too, yet irrelevant.. look up the meaning of irrelevant.. means not pertaining to.. pretty sure my fan comments PERTAINED to the FAN subject, there fore making it a RELEVANT point =]

what i pointed out is very true, and makes quite a bit of sense.. CFM output at 5k is useless.. you cant run the engine constantly at its peak RPM.. ull blow the motor.. whereas you can run the e-fan at its peak RPM as long as you want.. plus an e-fan motor can be re-build so much easier too..

go re-read my last post, you might learn a bit.. and yeh, my truck has 201k on it, thats pure fact too, yet irrelevant.. look up the meaning of irrelevant.. means not pertaining to.. pretty sure my fan comments PERTAINED to the FAN subject, there fore making it a RELEVANT point =]

You missed my point.

I will simplify what I have been trying to tell you in hopes of making myself crystal clear.

What you said: "when u measure a fan, you look at RMP and CFM.. CFM is not the same thing as the speed. YES a fan will have a larger cfm at a higher speed. BUT, CFM also corresponds to the pitch of the blade...In essence, you can have a fan spin at 2000 RPM and another at 1000 RPM and the one spining at 1k will have a greater CFM"

What I said that you were responding to:

...the SLOWER the fan spins relative to the water pump the less the fan adds to parasitic loss on the accessory belt.

If CFM (fan speed) decreases and load on the belt increases or stays the same the system becomes more inefficient.

If CFM (fan speed) decreases and the load on the belt becomes proportionally less, then the efficiency remains the same. This is what happens during slippage.

What I have been tryin to tell you in the most simple and straight foreward way I know how: I was talking about the stock fan for the motors that apply to this forum. So what if there is some fan out there somewhere that can flow more at 1000RPM than another fan out there somewhere can at 2000RPM? Those fans you are talking about have nothing to do with the fan that I was talking about or the point I was making (ie. your point and those fans are not relevant). I was making an analogy about drag at the water pump pulley, CFM and the efficiency of the stock fan......not these other fans with different blade pitches out there that you are talking about.

Yes RPM, pitch CFM all correspond. Yes it is possible that some fan out there could flow more than another while spinning slower. But what do these other fans with different pitches have to do with what I was saying? Nothing. You were trying to "correct" me by pointing out that pitch makes a difference. It is true that pitch makes a difference. But, since pitch is the same for the stock fans on these rigs, that is a moot point. It does not matter that pitch makes a difference when I am talking about stock fans that all have the same pitch. Blade length, surface area etc. all make a difference. But since none of that changes from stock fan to stock fan, those things become irrelevant to the point that I was making.

Talking about fans, of any kind, is quite relevant in this thread lol. A fan, is a fan, no ifs ands or buts about that..

You can ***** and moan at me all you want.. pretty sure i just proved my point.... read a couple posts back..

Blue Bomber

Tennessee Chapter member
my stock fan is bolted to my water pump through a fan spacer. i have a small radiator that probably hasnt been washed off in couple years. I WIN!!!!!! my setup is the least efficient of all!

P.S. i think my thermostat is stuck open too, or its missing......

Talking about fans, of any kind, is quite relevant in this thread lol.

Had I been talking about fans in general yes. But I was talking about the stock fan in specific (could I possibly make that any more clear?), thats the difference and thats why your points were moot, not relevant.

You can ***** and moan at me all you want.. pretty sure i just proved my point.... read a couple posts back...

:horseshit:

Stock fan in COMPARISON to the e-fan =p lol.. regardless.. measurements are the same whether its the stock one or not..

Stock fan in COMPARISON to the e-fan =p lol.. regardless.. measurements are the same whether its the stock one or not..

Wrong

The drag of the stock fan and clutch assembly on the water pump pulley relative to the amount of air flow and clutch slippage on the same stock fan.

I wasn't comparing to an e-fan in that post.

As long as the pitch remains unchanged from stock fan to stock fan the pitch is a non-issue.

I thought I already made this clear......:scratch:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Ugh... This argument is getting boring. I vote to stop arguing unless someone has NEW points to bring to the table. Y'all arent even making points anymore, just bickering. I'm all for a good debate but we've all gotten to say our piece :p

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I'm with Chris on this one. Everybody has had a chance to say their piece and now the thread is locked. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts