Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Custom Dashboards

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Those clusters look awesome. I really like the stock look though and I'd hate to give that up. But, I hate not having my gauges in plain view and easy to see. I also thought about getting that Dakota Digital setup like what Ranger has. The closest thing to stock, but a digital look. Yeah, those are expensive, but not much more than if you buy separate autometer ones.

I had a full stereo setup but I rarely used it so the first step was to install the gauges and see how much I missed it. The sightline is great for the gauges and after working out which hidden stereo to buy I realized I don't miss it so I'm going to do the full brake upgrade with the same money (hydroboost, Thunderbird calipers, stainless lines and rear discs). I'm blessed with very understanding neighbours also as the old girl produces quite a wall of sound.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Well, I changed my mind on keeping my stock look and am going with a custom setup. The only thing I shouldn't have gone with was an electrical speedo. Instead I went with the cheaper mechanical because I thought I was able to get a cable adapter to make the stock cable work and found out later that it no longer exists, so I had to get a new speedo cable made. For the money I spent on the cable and speedo, I could have had an electrical one. Oh well. But this is what I have so far. The idea came from other peoples dash setup so I thank those who have this type of setup already and seemed like the easiest to make. I still have to repaint the cluster black.

IMG_2495.jpg

IMG_2502.jpg

This is what I started out with and then changed my mind.

012500_200100.jpg

That looks great! The checker plate was a nice addition. So many great mods, so little time :)

I need to move to a warmer climate, these winters give far to much time to make changes. Below is a dash that I'll be modifing this winter to better incorporate the rest of my dash mods.

P1020382.jpg

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Hey Buck,how do the factory lights do as far as gauge illumination?Does the diamond plate make it any brighter?

Before I swapped dashes and clusters on my truck(wrong gen I know,but it's on topic),I had painted the old gauges white,took off the blue caps,and painted the cluster backing,and it helped with the lighting ten fold.But,I got sick of the white,so when I swapped clusters,I left the new cluster black.

Here's what my old cluster looked like.Wrong Gen,but it should be a good reference for 7th gens.

modelsandemblems1119.jpg

Before picture at night:

modelsandemblems1004.jpg

After:

modelsandemblems1121.jpg

Big difference from factory.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I can't tell yet if the diamond plate backing helps the lights or not. I had switched out the factory 194 bulbs and put in some blue LED bulbs I already had and they seemed to be pretty dull which I was surprised. I'm going put back the 194s in the gauges and see how they look.

I like the white background of your cluster. That made a huge difference.

76f350spercamprspeal

Known By all-*-76SCS-*-
You guys are all lucky, your dash not only lights up, But it works!

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I can't tell yet if the diamond plate backing helps the lights or not. I had switched out the factory 194 bulbs and put in some blue LED bulbs I already had and they seemed to be pretty dull which I was surprised. I'm going put back the 194s in the gauges and see how they look.

I like the white background of your cluster. That made a huge difference.

Oh okay,I see.Hopefully it makes a difference.And thanks.I'm not running that cluster anymore though,I actually got bored of the white,and it didn't really flow with the woodgrain bezels of the new dash,so it's sittin on the shelf in the shop.

CamperSpecial,you speak too soon.My Battery Gauge doesn't work,and I'm not too sure about the other vital gauges.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Dolphin Gauges makes a Custom dash for gen 6 /7s .

I saw that one from Dolphin. I just didn't think the viewing angle would be all that great. I like the gauges set back like the stock look. The thing I'm finding out though is that there isn't much room to give behind the aftermarket gauges in an A/C truck with the hard plastic ducting.

I did look at the lighting tonight and the diamond plate backing don't make that much of a difference.

Broncodawg

Bleeds Ford blue blood
Simple custom looking, yet factory dash is one from F600s of the same era. Many, if not all have tachs as well as all the other gauges and bolt right in. Sorry, no pics.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Simple custom looking, yet factory dash is one from F600s of the same era. Many, if not all have tachs as well as all the other gauges and bolt right in. Sorry, no pics.

I had actually thought about getting one of those and I still might if my father-in-law has something in his junkyard I could grab. Maybe for future use. The only concern I would have would be to make the steering column work. I'd love to see some pics of that F600 dash in these trucks.

Last edited:

Broncodawg

Bleeds Ford blue blood
Haha, just found this and thought of this thread. Very cool looking IMO

Attachments

• F600 dash.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts