Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Creak/crack from my front end

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
So I've recently developed a creak in my front end... I'm not sure creak is the best way to describe it because its just a very quick CRACK then its gone, like something is shifting around up there.

It happens when I put stress on the steering components, ie, turning the tires in a parking lot while not moving, or making a tight turn while going a good speed. It also sometimes happens if I go up a driveway too quickly, ie, turning off of the street and into a driveway to a parking lot, if there's a good sized incline into the drive it will also CRACK. I can feel it in the floorboards, it doesn't sound good.

At this point I'm thinking it might be a bad tie rod end... Any ideas?

Fellro

Staff member
Typically tie rods give slop, not noise. I haven't seen it personally, but I am wondering if maybe you have the infamous frame cracking.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Have you ever double checked all of the bolts on your lift for tightness? I like to do that periodically on any lifted truck.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
chris, is it almost like a 'pop' like something is clicking into/out of place?

Ryan

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
chris, is it almost like a 'pop' like something is clicking into/out of place?

Ryan
It is like a loud POP (deep, not high pitched), but I don't think something is clicking into/out of place... It's really tough to explain. I suppose it sounds like someone is taking thick hard plastic rod and slamming it on my drag link (sounds like its come from that area).

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
I know they are different steering systems, but I had a similar pop noise coming from the front end of my Ranger, and it turned out to be a TIGHT
tie-rod end.

Ford Truck Articles