Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Coolant hose on the 750

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Went to Finning today for a dx on the coolant issue.

They couldn't find any sign of bubbling in the coolant so head and/or headgasket ruled out.

Truck has a thermostatic fan for cooling, seems when it was on the dyno with no air going over it, it would activate from 195-225....which isn't supposed to happen.

When a fan was placed on the rad to simulate speed, the temp stayed stable...also noted was some weepage from the back side of the clutch housing.

Also noted when they did a download that the engine had derated itself a few times due to high egt's...which would correlate with higher iat's possibly when the fan was not turning properly...and I have noticed that the fan does not seem to come on as much as it used to, but the temp gauge never moves.

In any case....thought is that when it is getting up to 220-225, it is venting a little from the cap, which would explain the small amount I've been seeing.

Might look into an air actuated fan that the ecm has an output for....waiting for a price of the new thermostatic clutch.

Got a couple of minor oil leaks as well.

Finning was cheaper than what the ballparked me and the service was excellent.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Oh....and as a side not, put down 252hp, didn't ask if it was corrected or not...but that was a solid 30 more than when I was there in 2006 with an injector issue.
Drivetrain is sucking up 78hp.....damn near 25%!!!

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Went to Finning today for a dx on the coolant issue.

They couldn't find any sign of bubbling in the coolant so head and/or headgasket ruled out.

Truck has a thermostatic fan for cooling, seems when it was on the dyno with no air going over it, it would activate from 195-225....which isn't supposed to happen.

When a fan was placed on the rad to simulate speed, the temp stayed stable...also noted was some weepage from the back side of the clutch housing.

Also noted when they did a download that the engine had derated itself a few times due to high egt's...which would correlate with higher iat's possibly when the fan was not turning properly...and I have noticed that the fan does not seem to come on as much as it used to, but the temp gauge never moves.

In any case....thought is that when it is getting up to 220-225, it is venting a little from the cap, which would explain the small amount I've been seeing.

Might look into an air actuated fan that the ecm has an output for....waiting for a price of the new thermostatic clutch.

Got a couple of minor oil leaks as well.

Finning was cheaper than what the ballparked me and the service was excellent.
Is your fan electric or air?

The more miles it goes, the more oil leaks it will get. As base pressure raises, oil weeps out. Keep it clean, and when it starts to be an unreasonable amount, seal it up

Oh....and as a side not, put down 252hp, didn't ask if it was corrected or not...but that was a solid 30 more than when I was there in 2006 with an injector issue.
Drivetrain is sucking up 78hp.....damn near 25%!!!
When you think about the size of the gears in the transmission, and rear, that's not too bad, especially since your turning over a transfer case, and a second rear.
Hp in a big truck is not important as torque.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Is your fan electric or air?

The more miles it goes, the more oil leaks it will get. As base pressure raises, oil weeps out. Keep it clean, and when it starts to be an unreasonable amount, seal it up

When you think about the size of the gears in the transmission, and rear, that's not too bad, especially since your turning over a transfer case, and a second rear.
Hp in a big truck is not important as torque.

Neither...viscous fluid thermostatic...in other words, el cheapo, thank you Ford :D

No...it's not bad....guessing the torque loss to be the same....rated 860/1440.

Also got an answer on the weird turbo noise I sometimes hear when around 1400 rpm....turbo stalling...might take it to Allison to get the shift points raised, but now that I know what it is, I can manually shift.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Does it have an engine brake on it?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Just got the price from Ford for the clutch fan....I damn near fell off my chair.
Retail...$1100
My price $785.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
So....a day in the city at 85+ degrees and the truck hasn't leaked anything....this reminds me of taking a cat to the vets and then everything is miraculously alright :suspicious:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
It don't like hot weather....

Makes it sweat....LOL

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts