Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Codes pulled from my truck.. help

Guy at work has the Snap-On Modis scan tool.. asked him to see what came up with my truck.. trying to chase down a tranny issue and weird idle issue..

heres the codes i got.. doesnt really make sense to me cause there 3 digit codes..

111 - No Fault Codes

Continuous memory..
211 - Profile Ignition Pickup (P.I.P)...?

334-EGR closed voltage higher than expected...?

452 - ???

any ideas? I dont know what the PIP is and the 452

NO check engine light is on and OD light is NOT flashing

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
452 - Computer detected an error in the VSS or PSOM signal during the last 80 warm-up cycles.

And the reason you're not getting a check engine light is because those codes got stored in the continuous memory, behind the scenes, while you were driving. The first 111 (all good) code is referring to the fact that when the reader polls all the sensors involved in the KOEO test, all the tests came back good. But the KOEO doesn't test everything, and that's what the 2nd set of CM codes is showing you (what the KOEO can't necessarily catch).

452 - Computer detected an error in the VSS or PSOM signal during the last 80 warm-up cycles.

And the reason you're not getting a check engine light is because those codes got stored in the continuous memory, behind the scenes, while you were driving. The first 111 (all good) code is referring to the fact that when the reader polls all the sensors involved in the KOEO test, all the tests came back good. But the KOEO doesn't test everything, and that's what the 2nd set of CM codes is showing you (what the KOEO can't necessarily catch).

Ok.. could the VSS be the culprit of my tranny issue? it was dated 7/08

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
The VSS is used by the transmission so it's possible that a bad VSS could be giving your transmission problems.

The VSS is used by the transmission so it's possible that a bad VSS could be giving your transmission problems.

Easy/Cheap fix?

if i remember right, it sits on top of the rear differential correct?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yes sits on top of the rear diff. Easy-- yeah, just one bolt if I remember correctly. Cheap? Ehhh... Looks like the dealer MSRP is $45 for the part. Ed, our parts guy on FTF sells it for $24. Click on the banner at the top of the page, narrow down your truck in the pulldown menus, and search for "speed sensor."

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
What's the symptom on your transmission? I know EXACTLY what a before/after feels like. I had one get some moisture built up in the wire harness and complete the circut, making everything haywire.

Mine was slipping out of gear while driving mostly, and the occasional late shift.

Ryan

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Might try cleaning it first, that's even cheaper.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Guy at work has the Snap-On Modis scan tool.. asked him to see what came up with my truck.. trying to chase down a tranny issue and weird idle issue..

heres the codes i got.. doesnt really make sense to me cause there 3 digit codes..

111 - No Fault Codes

Continuous memory..
211 - Profile Ignition Pickup (P.I.P)...?

334-EGR closed voltage higher than expected...?

452 - ???

any ideas? I dont know what the PIP is and the 452

NO check engine light is on and OD light is NOT flashing

For the 334 make sure the egr valve is not sticking open. If it's not I recomend replacing the EGR Valve Position Sensor, it's mounted on top of the egr valve. 211 the ignition module mabe flaking out, does the thing skip/buck at all? 452 the VSS sensor is going bad, you can OHM check it should read 190 - 250 Ohms, it may show good but have a intermit fault.

Hope this helps some.

rattle can, cmon man, YOUR KILLING ME!!!! ive had a few threads on that.. lol.. has late shifts, lately feels like it falls out of gear and goes into neutral and revs up.. then it BANGS back into gear once i let off the gas.. and now that you mentioned moisture... it seems like it does it when it rains.. but it does do it when its not raining too

I had a CEL on a while ago and thre the code 33, took the EGR off and cleaned it up, was stuck losed, i know it works now, mayb i need to replace that sensor too... who knows..

the engine doesnt buck or anything, just a weird idle at cold start occassionally... that code may have been tripped because of the IAC or te tranny issues that just happened... mainly i want to know if its something i really should be concerned about

My two cents is after each code in Italics. The non Italics is from from the 1994 Ford Shop Manual.

Possible causes:
Loose wires/connectors.
Arcing secondary ignition components (coil, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, etc.).
On-board transmitter (2-way radio).*

*Verify all radio and condenser installations. Carefully follow manufacturer's installation instructions regarding the routing of antenna and power leads.

The PIP sensor inside the distributor may be going bad also.

Possible causes:
EGR valve not seating.
EVR solenoid allowing excessive vacuum to EGR valve.
Damaged EVP sensor.

I have seen this one happen also if you have installed a EGR block off plate and then exhaust gas seems to be able to move the EGR valve up and cause this code.

Possible Causes:
Damaged Rear Anti-Lock Brake System (RABS).
Damaged PSOM.
Damaged harness circuits.
Damaged PCM.

As said above could be wiring or garbage stuck to the sensor.

I had a CEL on a while ago and thre the code 33, took the EGR off and cleaned it up, was stuck losed, i know it works now, mayb i need to replace that sensor too... who knows..
A 1994 will not have a code 33, only three number codes.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
rattle can, cmon man, YOUR KILLING ME!!!! ive had a few threads on that.. lol.. has late shifts, lately feels like it falls out of gear and goes into neutral and revs up.. then it BANGS back into gear once i let off the gas.. and now that you mentioned moisture... it seems like it does it when it rains.. but it does do it when its not raining too

Yeah... apologies. Quit diagnosing that one and throw the part at it. Use a little silicon when you install it around the seal ring and also squirt some silicon into the sensor where the wires go into the sensor end. Talk to Ed and he can get you a heck of a deal on the part.

Ryan

that is why Dielectric Greese is your friend! haha.. do you need to take off the diff cover to do it? or simple "plug and play" per say

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
There's only one bolt retaining it in place. Don't be afraid to PULL when you get the bolt out. If it's been there a while it isn't going to pop right out.

Ryan

Alright cool.. ill have to see what my price at ford is for the sensor..

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts