Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

clutch break in

i'm getting a new clutch put in today.

i've only had the truck for a year and hope it's not my fault. it's got 77,000 miles on it, but the old owner bought the truck to pull a camper on weekends (hence low miles). i want to make sure i'm not doing anything wrong.

i read some stuff about "clutch break-in period". seems to be a hot topic. real or BS?

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Just drive it normal (no excess slip and heat) and all will be fine. I do assume that you don't go around with your foot riding it or slip it excessively when leaving a stop.

*The previous owner dragging a trailer surely contributed to shortening clutch life; city miles also tend to drag the life down, deduct more miles for having to start on steep hills.

i drive it pretty normal in my mind. always start in 1st, i don't pop it, but don't ride it either. i gauge my clutch driving my how little the passengers get jerked around :)

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Hmm Ive never had a problem with it but I just shift quick so it dont stay in contact with it for very long. Ive also only had a clutch slip on me when there was oil on it from a rear main leak.

Fellro

Staff member
I never have heard or was concerned about clutch break in time, but have not experienced problems with them after putting in new ones. Mine works fine now, and it has already been under trailers again, but that is what it is here for. I would not have even bought this truck if it couldn't handle that detail. I've done plenty of clutches and never had to worry about them, I'm sure you will be fine.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts