Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

CEL on 99 V10

Hey all, I've had a 99 250 V10 since september 2013, its got 156k on it and so far has been a great truck. My newest truck ever too, im more into old pushrods...
Anyway, I've had a CEL on since about december and when I floor it my power kind of flat lines for a sec then kicks back in and it will do this multiple times until im up to speed, its also throwing codes p0171 and 0174 (lean bank 1 and bank 2). The filter is new and the maf has been cleaned and ive run injector cleaning fluid several times.
I guess my ultimate question is, would it more likely be the fuel pump or a vacuum leak? Any time ive had a pump go bad its sudden and doesn't affect the acceleration prior to that. And where do you start on a vacuum leak diagnosis?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Using a can of carb cleaner spray with the straw to direct the spray, you can spray it around the engine while its running. when you get to a vacuum leak, the engine sound will change.

awesome thanks for the tip, ill give it a try when the weather is better. Would a vacuum leak cause the sputtering in my acceleration like that?

Ford Truck Articles