Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Big Block or Diesel ??????

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
i know black smoke is unecessary and unburnt fuel, now after going thru this a bit with fellro and doing a ton of research with a couple diesel shops around my area, i have decided to go through with the cummins, the 12v i have is the mechanical fuel pump, its not the almighty p pump but im told i can tweak it a little this should start to take place in mid summer and be done by mid late fall completely

Fellro

Staff member
The adjustments on the VE are so easy it is amazing. the P-pump is harder to adjust, but makes more power. The VE does what most of us want with no issues.

Forgot about our prior discussion in regard to what truck and what all you had.

Fellro

Staff member
I'm a purist and prefer keeping what was in the truck, in the truck...or at least what was available to that truck in the truck. But that's just me, so I'd keep the blue oval in there.

Powerstrokes and IDI's are simply contracted IH and Navistar motors, minimal input from the oval. They aren't even blue, painted gray from the factory. Also, by that description, the motor swaps even in the Ford line don't qualify, like say an FE in an 80's chassis, or a 302 in a classic rod. As I stated though, Ford did contract with Cummins for the medium duty trucks as well. I know of some that were taken from the mediums and buses for the swaps. It is far easier to use the Dodge setup though.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I vote for the cummins too

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Powerstrokes and IDI's are simply contracted IH and Navistar motors, minimal input from the oval. They aren't even blue, painted gray from the factory.

Right...I know and get that. What I'm saying is, if it wasn't a check box at the dealership for the vehicle in question, I wouldn't do it.

Also, by that description, the motor swaps even in the Ford line don't qualify, like say an FE in an 80's chassis, or a 302 in a classic rod.

Yup, you pegged it...that's why I don't even like 460 swaps in 4by dentsides. So like I said, I'm a relative purist. It may be a dumb way of looking at things, but I'd relish in the challenge of making what was or could have been stock just as competitive as going the easy way out. May not be the smartest financial decision...but that's why places like TMI that cater to the red headed step child have a business.

Last edited:

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Fellro covered what i was going to say...
Ford dont even make there own diesel... Until this year.

I agree with ben here, taking what was available with the truck and making it as competitive as possible is always really neat to me.

But i also like the idea of thinking outside the box. Why do i have to put a ford motor in a ford truck?
Why not a cummins?
If anybody disgraces a ford truck and puts in a durachoke into a ford, they should be kicked in the nuts by a pro- punter. Then have there eyes and ears filled with bleach.

Why do i have to put a ford motor in a ford truck?

Because what makes a Ford a Ford? The Blue Oval badge? No, it's the heart of a Ford...the engine. I can build a chassis and put Ford panels on it for a body, but if it's got a Chevy motor, it's a friggin' Chevy.

If anybody disgraces a ford truck and puts in a durachoke into a ford, they should be kicked in the nuts by a pro- punter. Then have there eyes and ears filled with bleach.

You say it's ok to put a Cummins in a Ford, but not a Duramax - you only say that because you hate Chevy, but in principle, it's the same situation because either way you've removed the Ford engine. That truck is no longer a Ford (in my opinion)

/rant

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Actually, not correct, duramax is made by isuzu.
Cummins is an independent company with all kinds of diesel applications, OTR trucks light duty trucks, some equipment, standalone motors to power generators or what ever.
You can factory spec a cummins in a f-650 class of truck, as well as a cat power plant.

Your right its no longer a true ford if you swap in a cummins. I would honestly take a 6.0 swap into a gen 9 over a 12v swap or a 24v swap, just to stay brand loyal.

I dont see an issue with the cummins due to the fact that they are an independent company that happens to make a very good diesel engine. Heck i firmly believe the only reason the dodge truck line is still around is due to that engine.

I personally want to see a cat engine swapped into one of these trucks, just for the cool factor of doing it. :)

Charles i understand your point and i respect what your saying. But im not choosing the cummins over the duramax due to duramax being "owned" by chevy.

Actually, not correct, duramax is made by isuzu.

Yeah you're right about that...and the fact that it's import-derived is even worse lol.

I'm not dogging the quality of a Cummins at all. They're awesome motors, as are CATs, but I just wouldn't 'void' my Ford by putting one in it.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
the 55 means i can run up too 55" tires right?
Also with the low power of the c9 you think boggers would be a good idea?
Dont want to bog the motor down any more than it already is.. :)
Lollers...

Michigan
Black smoke dont mean a "power loss" When my diesels smokin it has more power than if it wasnt.. If you watch all the high hp diesels, you will see black smoke. Lots O Fuel!

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Actually, incorrect. If your truck was properly tuned then it wont have all the black smoke... All the black smoke is is excess fuel being burned.

The super high powered fancy schamancy tractor pullin and drag racin diesels.
They actually need the excess fuel, i cant recall off hand why they run so much fuel, but i know its necessary....
I believe once you start pumping that much fuel through the motor, at the rpm's that they turn, there actually isn't enough time to burn it suffeciently, but turning the fuel volume down will cause power loss.
Its all in the tune though, a big cloud of black smoke is always associated with diesel performance, but in reality you can have a mean diesel that dont roll coal..

Fellro

Staff member
There are some 3208 Cats out there in some Ford trucks. Damn heavy and such, but been done... I know of one particular truck that had a DT466 swapped into it, it was an early 80's F350, put the 9 speed in as well...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts