Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

best way to get the air bubbles out of your radiator/cooling system?

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
i changed the thermostat a few days a go.. but it has air in the system... becuase it gets to 180 * stays there then goes to 210 for like 10 seconds and drop back.. somethimes stays there for a bout 5 minutes.. they told me it has air bubbles in the system

NOTE i dont have a reservior tank its broken

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Did you happen to drill a small hole in the thermostat? That always seems to help get the air out.

Park the truck with the nose uphill, remove the rad cap and run the motor until the engine reaches operating temperature and the stat opens. Any air should cycle out pretty quickly and you'll see the coolant level drop in the rad.

parking uphill is a good tip

doesn't turning the heater on help, or is that just if you've got other cooling issues?

I've have this problem too. My temp gauge cycles from "N" to around the "R" on the highway. I'd prefer the temp to stay put so I don't have to watch it.

These guys have some good tips. I've done the "Drill a hole" mod in my dsm and it does help, I drilled several holes actually. Parking uphill with the cap off with the engine running will work too, the coolant level will go down once the tstat opens.

Running the heater can help a lot in an overheating situation.

While were on this topic, what tstat is everyone running? I've got an Autozone at the stock temp, I think I'll go OEM next time.

I know that on the E-350 there is an issue with the heater core not filling properly after a re-fill, like an air bubble gets in there. I had to fill the heater core thru its upper hose to make it go away.

andym

Real men are fanatics
While were on this topic, what tstat is everyone running? I've got an Autozone at the stock temp, I think I'll go OEM next time.

Should be a 192 or 195. I don't like Autozone for parts that are important, like water pumps, brakes, etc. They sell the cheapest stuff they can get - that's why their prices are so low.

Storm

Pop the cap, run the engine up to operating temp.. Let it go for 15 minutes.. Cooling system will flush the air out of the radiator.. Cycling the heater will route the coolant into the heater core, depending if air is present there, not a big requirement to cycle but can't hurt..

Ford Truck Articles