Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Best truck for me?

I have been having this debate in my head for the past several months. I love the ford 300 inline 6. Mostly cause of its simplicity, low end torque, mileage it can possibly get, and they are cheap. I have been going back and forth, if I had around $5000-$6000 for a truck would I be better of getting a 96 f150 with the inline 6 or a cummins dodge. I do not do a whole lot of hauling. I do a little construction, and we may get a small to medium size travel trailer in the future. Basically, my goal is the most economical truck that can get the job done. If I went with the ford, I would modify it quite a bit, would even consider a turbo. With that the mileage would drop and initial cost would go up. This is a year or so away, but I keep thinking about it when I really have better things to think about.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
It pains me to say this, but I think the most bang for the buck and most versatility option is going with the Dodge. But if it were me, I'd be scoping out a a Powerstroke of the same vintage.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Ford.... since your in MI its gonna run ya that price.. maybe consider buying a truck from down south.. a nice clean F150 300I6 down here runs 2500-3500 and i mean almost perfect condition..

do some upgrades, do all needed repairs with the remaining money compared to buying the cummins, drive the truck..

2 big +'s for the Ford, Better overall truck, parts are much cheaper than a diesel.
big +'s for the Cummins Dodge, More power, Better mileage possibly, way better resale, almost never loose value...

Being partial to Fords, I had a F150 (stock) with the I6 with a stick and regularly pulled a 17' camp trailer with no real problems. This was in Denver with all the mountains and it did just fine. Having the milage available when not towing and not having to worry about finding Diesel or the costly repairs.
IMO unless you plan to work it hard or drive a ton of highway miles forget the diesel.

Not a cummins fan, so Ford! lol

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Now having many miles in both 6.0's and the 5.9 cummins,
i would give it to the 5.9.

and between the 300 and 5.9 i would go with the cummins every single time.
Initial cost is more and parts are more expensive, but shop smart and you can get a good truck.
The only thing i would do with the 5.9 ive been driving would be to firm up the shifts (trans was rebuilt by shady shop, so no suprise they are kinda weak)
If i could get a good solid shift out of this trans i would be happy. This is a bone stock 00 cumins... Wait its got a k&n drop in filter. Other than that its stock and i average 22mpg thats 70/30 highway/city driving...
That number goes down to 18 ish if i dont keep my foot out of it.

either truck I would be getting would be from the south. :) I would also probably want a manual in either, more likely with the dodge with a 6 speed available. My big issue is by the time I put the upgrades on the ford to make it what I want, I would have enough into it I might be able to just get the cummins. Thanks for the input. Seems split quite equally though.

Ford Truck Articles