Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Battery help please....thanks!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
From looking at that disconnect I would hazard to guess it is a BIG part of the problem.
The battery could be bad also.

Nope, you're right.....that stupid disconnect (I'll get you a picture of the knob here shortly) is a royal pain in the arse........I have to scrape it a few times a year or little to no power to the starter.

^ agreed. Do away with it.

Yup.

I just thought it was weird that one day, it would start up just fine, then a few days later, dead battery, but as mentioned, looks like a few things.....old battery, disconnect, corrosion, not properly tested while it was hooked up to the cables, etc.

Bottom line is get rid of the disconnect and time for a new battery anyhow!

Just need to know what decent battery to put in it.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
You will get a myriad of opinions on this one. I've been happy with Interstate brand. Duncan has a battery that he uses, but I can't recall the name. I also tend to change batteries after 5 years, regardless of the warranty, because of our remote location.

The best battery I have experienced was a Panasonic in our Not-ford. It went 9 years without a hiccup. Alas, Panasonic does not sell batteries on the retail market. :(

Also did you clean the terminals with a "battery brush"? They are sold at any parts store, and come apart so you can clean the inside of the terminal as well as the outside of the post. Doing so will remove the oxidized layer of lead off of the post/terminal, which allows for an easier trip for all those electrons. :D

Thanks Doug....maybe Duncan will chime in.....I'd like a decent battery for this rig.smilieFordlogo

blacksnapon

Staff member
My first thoughts are........batteries draw power from heat..............Maine.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Found an earlier post from Duncan. He recommends Lifeline AGM(Glass mat) batteries.

http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/

Thanks Doug.....it looks like marine, racing, and rv applications, but I'm assuming the racing one will work for my dent?

Also, the cranking amps are much lower than the cheapos at wallyworld. The closest distributor is an hour and a half away....not too bad I guess.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Boy am I late on your thread Ken.
Have you considered getting a Motorcraft battery?

That is the route I wanted to go. The ford dealer brought out an Interstate battery. He said it would take a week to get a Motorcraft, so I settled for Interstate.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Thanks Doug.....it looks like marine, racing, and rv applications, but I'm assuming the racing one will work for my dent?

Also, the cranking amps are much lower than the cheapos at wallyworld. The closest distributor is an hour and a half away....not too bad I guess.

My limited understanding is that some manufacturers increase the number of plates in the battery just to show higher cranking amps. Liken it to TV manufacturers touting 1080P resolution on their TV's when 90% of the broadcast signal is still only 720P.

Sidenote: (Duncan, you can beat me with a stick if I'm wrong.)

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
My limited understanding is that some manufacturers increase the number of plates in the battery just to show higher cranking amps. Liken it to TV manufacturers touting 1080P resolution on their TV's when 90% of the broadcast signal is still only 720P.

Sidenote: (Duncan, you can beat me with a stick if I'm wrong.)

That makes sense from a marketing standpoint....thanks.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Boy am I late on your thread Ken.
Have you considered getting a Motorcraft battery?

Two votes is enough for me.....that's probably something I can pick up at any auto parts store, or wally world even?

Thanks fellas.

Fellro

Staff member
There is only about 3 actual battery manufacturers left. The specs of each brand are of course different. I have had success and failure with nearly every brand. I will say when I worked at Autozone, I gave up on our junk jumper pack and would grab one of the Duralast Gold batteries from the rack and a set of jumper cables and fired off many a vehicle that way. I have had good success with Interstate, but have also had them fail. I have had about 50% success with Wally World batteries. I have a AZ cheapy that had a factory warranty of 3 years last 4... it is dependent on many factors.

I have even gotten old batteries that had gone down and sat discharged to be able to recharge and use them. The trick to that is to let them charge for over 24 hours at a low rate, but not trickle.

I also had a battery that would start fine cold, but when the engine was all warmed up, it often would not. Got stranded a bit a few times before getting that swapped.

The battery that was in my Bronco II was 15 years old when I had to replace it. I don't remember the brand.
The battery in my dent was discharged so low ( left the key on ) that it wouldn't take a charge.
I followed some instructions on adding Epsom salts to clean the plates and its now been in there another year with out problem.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
If you decide to go Lifeline, get an RV starting type group 31.

The chief advantage of those batteries are low self discharge, high charge acceptance and deep cycle abilty
Having said that, if you keep the truck on a tender it would be reasonable to just get a regular battery and call it a day.
I like keeping my stuff original, so I go with Motorcraft.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
It might be worth buying a whole new cable with the ends crimped and sealed. Measure your existing cable, and search.

Makes sense....thanks.

If you decide to go Lifeline, get an RV starting type group 31.

The chief advantage of those batteries are low self discharge, high charge acceptance and deep cycle abilty
Having said that, if you keep the truck on a tender it would be reasonable to just get a regular battery and call it a day.
I like keeping my stuff original, so I go with Motorcraft.

Thanks Duncan.....is Motorcraft only available through the dealer?

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

Found out I could use the original line!

Finished product!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Nice battery, and it looks like somebody cleaned the terminals and cables. Where does the inline fuse go?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts