Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

bad lift?

hobie79

79' F250 4+4
I have a 79' f250. The front of my transfer case (np205) and the rear of my front diff (44) has been leaking. Yesterday i noticed the rear of my diff rolling up when i apply the brakes. I think its ruined my seals/bearings. The guy i bought her from used aluminum blocks to lift the front from factory 2" to 3" to level the truck. I see some wear on one block. Is this my problem? What's an alternative to using block lifts? And is it better to buy a rebuilt transfer case it rebuild it myself? Thanks in advance

Fellro

Staff member
The correct and safe way to do a lift at least on the front minimum is to use lift springs. The blocks allow the axle to put more leverage on the spring, which will let it "wrap" the spring as you are observing. On the rear, there are some factory blocks, but it is also recommended to keep them as short as possible. That is whay you will commonly see traction bars also added, as the axles will try to wrap the spring around them if you have enough torque or the blocks are too tall. You need to ditch the blocks and get the proper springs.

You should be able to find a good used 205 t-case pretty easily and cheap. Get one from a 77-79 F100, F150, F250, F350 or 78-79 Bronco. Most had the 205, a few, like mine had the 203 t-case.

Ford Truck Articles