Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Aux Transmission Cooler

Michigan
Im curious to see what my alt does when my E fan comes on.... I cant imagine two fans.

Whats the need for a bigger trans cooler? Honestly i cant see the trans being any cooler than what you got it at now, especially with your pan.

If you are doing any serious towing you want all the cooling capacity you can get, within reason. There are other benefits associated with bypassing the factory set up such as no mixing of ATF and engine coolant in the event of a leak.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
It's technical semantics, but the core of that cooler is really 6X11X1.5 - you are looking at the overall dimensions.

Anyways, it's all a compromise I would say. Would you rather have a smaller cooler and a fan or a bigger cooler and no fan? Is the cost, inconvenience (wiring, space consumption etc.) and downside (less air at highway speeds, current draw etc.) of the fan worth it? If the cooler is in a space where the other fan does it no good, the pusher would help at low speeds, stop and go traffick ect., but the cooler could easily be relocated to where the other fan covers it and presumably, the other fan would need to be on too during those stop and go conditions. Do you want both fans draining your alt?

I went through this same dilema a while back and opted for one big cooler without a dedicated fan that is partially covered by the radiator fan.
Good point. Perhaps I'll just use a bigger cooler with no fan. Thanks eco ;)

And Mike, I'm looking to get a better cooler to PREVENT my tranny from overheating when I tow the boat. On a hot day my trans gets up near 175* F WITHOUT a trailer behind it... I'd hate to think of how high it'd get pulling 6-7k ;)

Michigan
thats a rather hot temp...... for just cruising. How long of a trip do you take when it gets up that high?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
thats a rather hot temp...... for just cruising. How long of a trip do you take when it gets up that high?
On a real nasty hot day (90*+) it'll get to about 165 within 30-40 minutes of driving and stay there for the remainder of the trip.

In cooler weather it normally sits around 130-140*.

you know skan on the older models they have a small aux cooler for the trailer towing package-a lot of guys that can find one have been using them for the power steering low pressure side when they do a lift with bigger tires to keep the steering fluid cool-just a thought :)

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
you know skan on the older models they have a small aux cooler for the trailer towing package-a lot of guys that can find one have been using them for the power steering low pressure side when they do a lift with bigger tires to keep the steering fluid cool-just a thought :)
Lol! Nah my lift/tires ain't big enough to need something like that. Would be cool though :)

it does save the life of your steering pump and such-since you seem to be trying to heavy the truck up :)some older ford cars had the power steering coolers-old galaxies and such

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Look what arrived yesterday! ;) Props to summit for FAST shipping; ordered it on the 3rd and it arrived on the morning of the 5th, jeez!

DSC01728.jpg

DSC01729.jpg

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Quick question... From the diagrams on the box and the orientation of the writing on the cooler, it appears that B&M plans on this cooler being mounted with the hose barbs UP.... I'm fairly certain that my current one is mounted hoses DOWN. Does it make a difference?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
OOOOO that's a good question! Lol, I never thought about that!

What do ya'll think I should do? Tandem or single?

The reason I'm even pursuing this is because my trans started pushing hotter temps a few months back. When I first installed my gauge I would push 165-175* MAX on a super hot day, and generally closer to 150-160*. Now I can get her past 200* in 110* weather, unloaded. On a moderately warm day, regular trans operating temp is at least 175*, seems way too hot to me.

So I'm feeling like perhaps my cooler is crapping out or its plugged or I've got a plugged line... I'm gonna remove the cooler, shoot all the lines with air, and swap the new cooler right in place.

Side note: chose to leave the radiator in the trans cooling circuit after read this thread: (sorry for linking to competing sites)

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/675763-79-f250-c6-transmission-feels-loose-slipping.html (start at post 11)

andym

Real men are fanatics
Is your new cooler the same size and capacity as the old one? Because if you suspect a clog, you'll get your cooler temps back just by cleaning the old cooler.

If it's bigger, then go for it. I don't know that you'd need three coolers though. That seems a little overkill. :)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts