Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Aux Transmission Cooler

blacksnapon

Staff member
At first look, it would seem like it would be better to make them work in conjunction with each other, but think about it, if you have a 192 thermostat, thats as cool as the fluid will get. Delete the one in the radiator, and go stand alone.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Oh sorry Vince I guess I should have been more specific... I've already got an AUXILIARY cooler outside of the radiator, which I believe is also running in conjunction with the cooler built into the radiator... So you think disconnecting the radiator cooler and running both my aux coolers in conjunction would be best?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Oh sorry Vince I guess I should have been more specific... I've already got an AUXILIARY cooler outside of the radiator, which I believe is also running in conjunction with the cooler built into the radiator... So you think disconnecting the radiator cooler and running both my aux coolers in conjunction would be best?
Yessir! Even prevents contamination of your coolant in the event of a cooler failure.

thinking out loud...
could you hook up the cooling tubes going through your new tranny pan to your coolant system. would that be cooler, hotter, or just unsafe and dumb

blacksnapon

Staff member
thinking out loud...
could you hook up the cooling tubes going through your new tranny pan to your coolant system. would that be cooler, hotter, or just unsafe and dumb
Again, if you're using your engine coolant, it wont get any cooler than the thermostat is set for.

thinking out loud...
In addition to what Vince said, I think it would be an engineering boondoggle with all of the fabrication needed vs. the beneficial yield.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yeah hookin' up to all those little tubes would mean coolant leaks for the rest of the time that I own the truck. I think it's just as beneficial (if not more) to have air passing through the tubes as it goes under the truck.

Last edited:

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
For a clean look get rid of everything and install new. I know u have little rust but the factory 1s r known to Catch allot of junk over the years .

And more connections you got more places to leak .

Get the best one u can find. That way when Trista MAke first million and Buys u a New one I will be ready for me.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I was thinking about installing a small pusher fan on the cooler but I don't know which one will fit between the cooler and the grill... Any suggestions?

Anybody think that the Ford Racing cooler I posted above is a POS?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Iono look into a fan for a ranger....those seem pretty compact and geesh do they move some air.
The regular puller fan for the motor? I would think it'd be much to large. There's very little room between the grill and the cooler.

Any recommendations on coolers guys? I really have no idea what to look for with these things...

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Thats the one Mine has . I thought it was stock..

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Regardless of it being stock... Is it a 'stacked-plate' type cooler? I've been told to upgrade to a stacked plate cooler but if I'm already there, why bother?

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Picture of a stacked plate cooler;
K19SR.jpg

Courtesy of Google. :goldteef:

Looks to me like you have one already.. smilietease I don't think you're going to know if you need to upgrade your cooler until you actually pull that boat and see what your trans temps are like.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts