Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Are you freaking kidding me.....#@(*&#!(*!@

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
I swear..I almost don't want to post this as it's going to sound like yet again....one.....more.....thing.

Since I have faith (knocks on wood) in this mechanic I asked him about a sound I always hear at the 35mph speed. It's kinda like the sound you'd get from a science fiction space movie where the old rusty transport whatchamacallit is limping along. That deep whomp, whomp, whomp of some type of engine.
Well, that sound fills the cab, at 35 mpg's. Mechanic pegged it dead on when he heard it. He too was afraid to say anything, almost the quiet...take me aside and box of tissue at the ready when breaking the news.

Rear end has a bearing going out.

fine.....fine....just bloody fine.....

Have I mentioned I HATE THIS TRUCK lately.

*deep heavy sigh*.....it better be worth it guys. There better be a fricken apocalyptic event that this truck is the only truck that makes it across and through what ever happens and I drive off in safety.

(can you tell I've had a shot of W-Turkey)

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Ouch... Did he say which beaing he thought it might be? a wheel bearing or one inside?

This sounds like one of those vehicles... Seems like it will never ever get fixed. Then eventually it does and you forget about all the money and frustration you put into it. I've been there on two different occasions. Not fun.

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
ah..you speak his language.

He said best / worst case and something about inside outside...I asked best /worst case in $$$
Best would be $300, worst would be $700. At this point I think I was whimpering and he said he'd call when he knew more.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I doubt if it's any encouragement at this point, but those seem like decent prices...

And the $700 option is less likely than the $300 one in my experience...

Last edited:
It's probably getting to the point where delaying large expenses would come in handy for you E so if i was you i'd have a look around your local salvage yards for a complete rear end from the lowest mileage truck with the same rear axle code and get your mechanic to slot that in there for you ..... at the very least you are going to buy some time before the problem rears it's head again.

Axle code is on the door sticker

Take another big slug of that w turkey put your feet up and think happy thoughts ...... looking at the pics of your truck it will all be worth it when she's all fixed.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I think that's a 8.8 in that truck... and if it's like the 9" you could go to a junkyard and take an axle w/ bearing out of a junker and put in it. Done that many times on 9"ers... That's only for the $300 wheel bearing option though...

EDIT: Just thought... If it's leaking gear grease at either of the rear wheels that would be the give away that it's an easier fix. If not it is more likely an inner bearing that's gone, which is probably the ~$700 your mechanic spoke of...

Last edited:

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
he didn't mention any grease leaks....

Mark, if I didn't have the Ranger to sell and fund this...I would have parked that sucker long ago, or back to the blowing it up and selling tickets.

hmmm...that option is still on the table.

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
Matt...knowing everything we know about this truck it will be the $700.

So guys...just exactly how many more things are going to go wrong with this truck? Isn't there a Ford limit or something???

from what i gather from lookin up my problem that sounds like a speed sensor on rear axle, ur speed(speedometer) works off the same as the anti, if thats a automatic tranny look that up. years too L8 i'm sure but thats my guess....

no- sir i didn't read every post!!!

Ford Truck Articles