Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Anyone have an OEM tailgate on their truck?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Finally got my new tailgate from the body shop today but I'm concerned that it's not an OEM gate. First off-- I can't find a Ford stamp anywhere on the outside; but also it just feels like the metal is flexing under my feet when I stand on it.

Does someone have a factory Ford gate on their gen 9 that could look for a Ford stamp and tell me where it is on the gate? If mine is not there then I'm gonna raise hell.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I'll look in the AM

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Not really sure Taylor. And I don't know for sure if your bronco gate will match my pickup gate so that might not be a reliable source.

Looking specifically for gen 9 pickups but I'll take what i can get.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
if mine wasn't 200 miles away, I wouldn't even wait till morning, I would be out there with a flashlight...

But only because you're cute...

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
OK, flashlight and some hip waders...

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Nothing you need to concern yourself with.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Umm yea tailgates are flimsy. Stock or not. I dont think there is a ford stamp on there, take the inner panal off and look inside.

I couldn't find any stamps at all on my '91.
(but I didn't unscrew the inner panel)
It's gotta be stamped somewhere. :)
My guess, it's inside. :)

Also there would be no-mistaking the quality if
you could compare it to an aftermarket tailgate!

Alvin in AZ

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I have an aftermarket one, its super light weight, the stock ones i see always bend in the middle if used unlike ur old 1 lol.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'll check Thunder's when I get off work. But you should be able to easily tell a difference, OEM will be way heavier and the sheet metal will feel waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more rigid.

if mine wasn't 200 miles away, I wouldn't even wait till morning, I would be out there with a flashlight...

But only because you're cute...

I'm with josh but mine requires wadiing through water 3 feet deep....

Can I get in on this too???????

Umm yea tailgates are flimsy. Stock or not. I dont think there is a ford stamp on there, take the inner panal off and look inside.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT...our definitions of flimsy must be completely different. I'd say OEM tailgates are literally 10x stronger than aftermarket units.

KdPate

After Hours Garage
Just walked out to mine and looked. Couldn't find a stamp on it anywhere and mine is the original........

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Just walked out to mine and looked. Couldn't find a stamp on it anywhere and mine is the original........
Thanks for lookin' brother.

I'd love to get 2nd and 3rd opinions if anyone else wants to look.

I feel like this tailgate is about as heavy as my old one but I can't tell for sure. Just feel flimsier.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
dont make 'em like they used to.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
For the record-- this was a used gate that came from a salvage yard and the shop reconditioned and painted it. The insurance company was not willing to buy me a brand new gate so this was the next best option for getting a factory Ford gate.

I'm just starting to wonder if they truck they pulled it from had actually had the gate replaced before.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts