Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Any one took the truck to 13000 ft high?

acom01

Pampas Flareside
Hi everybody. I´m going to make a trip with my 95 Flareside 300 I6. It´s a mountain area with roads between 6000 and 13500 fts high (4200 mts).
Does anybody have experiencie of how the truck will respond so high?
Thanks

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I've been in a vehicle that would not start at high elevation. We unhooked the battery, let the computer reset, and let it relearn the fuel/air mixing ratio. If this happens to you, give that a try. It may do fine - I don't know.

Ryan

Yes, but it was a new '93 S10 Blazer. No problems.

10,700 is the highest I ever had any other vehicles...
'75 F150 360FE+T18
4 stroke dirt bikes
VW based dune buggies

The 2100 carburetor on the '75 did -much- better
after I'd defeated the full power circuit! :) Even
a measly 5000 ft was bad until after defeating the
full power circuit. Since then it's back in operation
but has much reduced richening ...but untested
above 5000 foot. The factory set it for Michigan.

O'Rat's computer-resetting is a cool idea if you have
trouble, shouldn't be needed, but a cool idea for a
back up plan. I'll keep that idea in my "tool kit". ;)

Alvin in AZ

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I had my '87 GMC Suburban up around 8500ft max and had no problems... it was TBI at the time and you could feel the computer relearning... it would surge and let off a few times and then it would be fine...

On top gear the three of them climbed to 15000 feet before the vehicles started to show noticeable drops in power.... Around 16000 feet breathing became difficult ffor them, and shortly after they turned back.

I believe 2 of them were carbureted, and one was injected. The carbureted range rover did the best I believe!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
On top gear the three of them climbed to 15000 feet before the vehicles started to show noticeable drops in power.... Around 16000 feet breathing became difficult ffor them, and shortly after they turned back.

I believe 2 of them were carbureted, and one was injected. The carbureted range rover did the best I believe!

Absolutely love that show......I'm hooked on it!

I drove my 77 dent through the Rockies and it did fine...I noticed a little decrease in power, but not much and when I went to gas up, it took a little longer to start.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
American or British?

I didn't know there were two until I went on to Netflix to see if I could watch some of the previous episodes. I've only seen the American version.

How is the British one?

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
There's a reason its been on for 15 or so seasons.

I'll agree and disagree... The British version is awesome, but it doesn't beat the pure redneck-ism of the American one. Drifting public transit buses, taking $500 cars 500 miles, all the offroading they do, ect.

British version just breaks a bunch of ****, seems like to me

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I'll agree and disagree... The British version is awesome, but it doesn't beat the pure redneck-ism of the American one. Drifting public transit buses, taking $500 cars 500 miles, all the offroading they do, ect.

British version just breaks a bunch of ****, seems like to me

Part of what makes me love the American version is that type of entertainment you talk about.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I drove a new '79 Ford up to the highest point for vehicle traffic on Mt. Evans in Colorado which was a little over 14,000 ft. I noticed a little loss of power(carbureted), but the carburetor was set up for high altitude operation since it was purchased in Colorado.

Overheating might also be an issue. Make sure the fan clutch is working properly, and the shroud is in good shape.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts