Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Any Cat diesel guys here?

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Well, my truck won't shut off. :D

I am pretty sure my issue is just a bad fuel shut off solenoid, but I wanted to see if anyone has any other possible ideas.

Its a 3116, and the solenoid is energized when the ignition is on, holding it open the whole time the engine runs, and when you turn the key off, the solenoid looses power, and in an ideal world, the spring pressure opens the solenoid and it closes the fuel shut off lever in the governor.

I have been shutting the truck down by removing the solenoid and manual operating the lever in the governor.

Is there anything else it could be?

This is making me long for a cable operated fuel shutoff like my John Deere tractors.

Fellro

Staff member
Like you say, ideally the spring would kick it back off, but it would seem it is not doing that... I know that on the 6BT Cummins there are some that change to a manual kill as well...

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I spent $230 on a new solenoid a couple days ago, and it still won't shut off. I am going to have to tear the governor apart I think. The lever the solenoid hits feels like its not where it should be. Maybe it fell apart. I need a schematic.

Ford Truck Articles