Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Air helper springs ??

Carting firewood this summer had the a** end of my truck dragging on the ground and it's hard to find the old style air shocks out here that i would have used in the past - i use my truck as a daily driver and don't want to fit a heavier spring pack as that would make it ride a bit too hard for my liking.

Have any of you guys ever used or tried these?

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/2071ff.html

firestone_ride_rite_air_bags.gif

They were in my truck when I bought it. Ride was really nice. I had to take them out when I lifted it as they weren't long enough. I left them at my mates place or I would have gave them to you. I kept my compressor on the truck as that will be handy.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I know several people with those... they work pretty good. People will tell you all the downsides and why its a bad idea, but if you were using air lift shocks before, this will be quite an inprovement.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Here goes my "Mr. Negative" speech....as I'm sure you know it doesn't increase the GVW...makes it ride more level...which generally fools people into adding a oile more weight.
Having said that....I do know of several people that have used those setups for towing (within the trucks gvw) and have cracked the frame where the bag mounts as it seems to concentrate the shock load there.
That's all.
Back to my vino :D

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Duncan I totally agree with you on this one. Been around l long enough to see the down side of helper springs. I had a set on one truck and overloaded it and bent the rear because it didn't sag down.

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
theres one in the salvage yard just down the road from me that the frame broke in half where the airbags bolt on. im putting a set on my new truck but in goin to put a a 3/8" steel plate along the frame to keep cracks from happening

They were in my truck when I bought it. Ride was really nice. I had to take them out when I lifted it as they weren't long enough. I left them at my mates place or I would have gave them to you. I kept my compressor on the truck as that will be handy.

Thanks for the thought Andy

I know several people with those... they work pretty good. People will tell you all the downsides and why its a bad idea, but if you were using air lift shocks before, this will be quite an inprovement.

I fitted the last set of air shocks Repco (like your pep boys) had to a 1979 F250 earlier this week that is being set up to tow a fifth wheeler - the client has used them on his previous tow wagon which was a Nissan Navara and he swore by them . I last used them myself nearly twenty years ago on a 1970 Rambler Rebel 770 and found that they were great especially when you got a bit excited while pushing the car through corners at a higher than advisable speed:wasntme:

Here goes my "Mr. Negative" speech....as I'm sure you know it doesn't increase the GVW...makes it ride more level...which generally fools people into adding a oile more weight.
Having said that....I do know of several people that have used those setups for towing (within the trucks gvw) and have cracked the frame where the bag mounts as it seems to concentrate the shock load there.
That's all.
Back to my vino :D

I know what you're saying Duncan - i just got a little embarrased when my old F150 was dragging on the ground and my mates wee '94 mazda/ranger had more weight on it and still sat relatively level ..... cost me a couple of beers living that one down i tell ya.

theres one in the salvage yard just down the road from me that the frame broke in half where the airbags bolt on. im putting a set on my new truck but in goin to put a a 3/8" steel plate along the frame to keep cracks from happening

Hmm thats a good idea :idea: :idea: no no thats a bloody awesome idea ..... i've had a woody over plasma cutters for a while now and doing this would mean i'd need to profile cut a chassis shaped section out of 3/8 plate which means that of course i'd need to buy one to do the job.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Im with Duncan and Randy on this one...they will work.......but a price to pay down the road. ive seen it also.We ran air bags on our C-20 wrecker...yrs later the trailing arms started to fail in the location of the bags...my first ford's trunk,along with others started to seperate from the prolong use of air shocks along with consant changing of lower shock mounts & bushings beat the heck out of em.....It is best to change out coil springs or add leaves,change out leaf springs.weight in the bed will settle down any harshness of stout springs

Last edited:

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Ive used bags in most of my trucks, never an issue as long as your not abusing it like most people do. I use it on the front of the 99 SuperDuty to keep the 37s from rubbing with the plow on.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I have used these before on several trucks And never had issues . Now run F350 leafs with extra leaf as they were cheaper .My current truck hauls wood about every weekend and at 200000 miles frame is fine .

Its just common sense guys .

I'd throw new springs on it . F250 hd sets ride fine . even new stock F150 springs with simple over load on top would help the truck is almost 2 decades old things get weak .

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts