Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

AC suckage

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Here's the scoop. We'll start at the dash switch. Keep in mind it isn't the auto fancy digital deal.

Defrost - works. Others - don't.

Temps - hot and cold will blow out of defrost.

I've narrowed it down to either blend door or vacuum... If I do the blend door mod, though, do I lose the defrost?

Dennis - have a vacuum diagram for me? (v6)

blacksnapon

Staff member
My vote, vacuum. Its engineered that if you lose vacuum, it defaults to defrost only (so at least your windshield will be clear).

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Okay. Any areas I should begin my search?

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
check the lines where they go through the firewall. You can also pop the radio and see the lines coming straight out of the A/C unit if I remember correctly.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I'm in the dash now... But I can't seem to find if it's the controller or somewhere down the line. I've checked behind the switch and at the splitting point just past it.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
FIXED IT! There was a line not connected to a reservoir. Credit to explorerforum.com

This would be the culprit: (not my pic)

VacuumReservoirOrb.jpg

Fellro

Staff member
That would do it. Reason to not suspect blend door in these situations: you had temp variations. What a blend door does: control the temperature. The door that matter controls whether the air comes out the vent, the defrost, or the floor vent. As Vince stated, the no vacuum situation is indicated when it is defrost only. However, on my non-factory air 88, it has a cable ( which has a broken control lever) that controls heat or defrost.

Ford has 90's AC blend door issues in several Vehicle lines.

One has to know the exact application because they changed how they were controlled.

Earlier years they used a vacuum motor

In 1992 (in certain vehicles) they used a 12v DC motor that was both normal and reverse polarity actuated.

On the 88 Lincoln the temp monitoring module once faulty defaults to defrost only.

I am battling heat in passenger compartment issues on 3 vehicles right now..all Fords.

Ford Truck Articles