Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

AC Compressor Question 2003 F250

Hello,

This is my first post to the forum. I have a AC compressor issue. My serp. belt broke the other day. I looked and the tensioner pulley was broken. Replaced the tensioner and everything was fine. I heard a rattling noise by the AC compressor, but when I turned on the ac the noise went away so i didnt think to much about it. That night I stopped to eat on the way from work, when came back out and the truck wouldn't turn over, barely cranked. I thought maybe the ac pulley seized. So I removed the belt and the truck started right up. Today I took the clutch/pulley off the ac compressor and the ball bearings fell all over, bearing was wiped out. If I replace the bearing will this solve my problem? Basically im wondering how to determine if the compressor is seized or the whole issue was just the bearing. Don't know if I should replace the bearing, new clutch/pulley assembly or put in a new compressor ?

Any info would be appreciated. I need to truck for work Monday so I was hoping to repair it between now and Monday or Tuesday at the latest.

Thanks !!!

2003 F250 SUPERDUTY 5.4 ENGINE

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
Hello,

This is my first post to the forum. I have a AC compressor issue. My serp. belt broke the other day. I looked and the tensioner pulley was broken. Replaced the tensioner and everything was fine. I heard a rattling noise by the AC compressor, but when I turned on the ac the noise went away so i didnt think to much about it. That night I stopped to eat on the way from work, when came back out and the truck wouldn't turn over, barely cranked. I thought maybe the ac pulley seized. So I removed the belt and the truck started right up. Today I took the clutch/pulley off the ac compressor and the ball bearings fell all over, bearing was wiped out. If I replace the bearing will this solve my problem? Basically im wondering how to determine if the compressor is seized or the whole issue was just the bearing. Don't know if I should replace the bearing, new clutch/pulley assembly or put in a new compressor ?

Any info would be appreciated. I need to truck for work Monday so I was hoping to repair it between now and Monday or Tuesday at the latest.

Thanks !!!

2003 F250 SUPERDUTY 5.4 ENGINE
Generally, that one will be the compressor locking up. That bearing will be only for the pulley. Can you turn the compressor shaft alone? The compressor gets starved for oil and destroys the internal bearings.

Hey Blacksnpaon,

Thanks for the reply.

I tried to turn the compressor shaft by hand but I couldn't. Would I be able to spin it by hand or would I need to put a wrench on it ?

Thanks

I just went out and put the bolt in that I took out from the pulley. Wrenched it down and the shaft spun freely a few turns, then tightened up a little, then spun freely, then a little tight again, then freely. So im not sure if that's normal or what ?

Thanks

Yea but im confused cause you said "youre compressor bound". I cant spin it by hand but I did spin it with the ratchet using the bolt for the clutch plate cover or whatever you call the front plate. Anyway it spins freely and then resistance.

So is it bad or is that normal ?

Sorry to be going back and forth on it but Im not sure if your saying its bad or its normal now. Thanks

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
It's toast
Make sure to purge and clean the system, and replace the dryer when you replace the compressor.

Wouldn't the shaft turn freely then when it came in contact with the oil be a little harder to turn ? I mean if it was seized wouldn't it not turn at all ?

I don't wanna spend a few hundred if its only a $30 pulley bearing.

Don't wanna sound like a asshole to question you guys but I don't have the cash right now and if I can get away with just a bearing it would be better. Im not sweating ac at the moment. Just need to get back on the road.

Thanks

im getting conflicting views. Here you guys are saying its done but another mechanic told me its fine so that's why im unsure which was to go. He said something about when I get resistance its from the oil. That its a diagnol pump or something like that.

I don't wanna waste 30 on the bearing and then just have to start over if the compressor is shot.

Should there be no resistance at all ? Like when you spin the shaft of a electric motor ?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
The problem is, the rubber hose inside is wearing, and filled up the oil/freon mix
This mixture has scored the walls of the compressor inside, and caused a lot of wear

I have been where you are, and replaced the clutch, then the bearing, then the compressor, all within a week of each other. this has been on more than one of my trucks, so it isn't like it was a one time thing
I understand the spending money you don't really have, I live in the same world.

The hoses are disintegrating inside. This is a common problem, and always ends with failure of the compressor.

I am sorry you took wrong any post we responded, we weren't trying to spend your money, only trying to help to keep you from spending extra money.
It may be that you need to just get a pulley kit to put in where the compressor sits to keep your belt on in case the compressor fails, you then can keep using the truck until you can replace it.

I can tell you that when the compressor finally stops, it will shread the belt off the truck in a matter of seconds.

Hey,

I didn't take anything wrong. I was just unsure which way to go.

You said a pulley kit, you mean the bypass pulley ? If so I looked and can't find one for this truck.

Are you saying the compressor is going bad but hasn't failed yet ? And i'll be able to buy some time with the bearing fix ?

And last, if I put on the new compressor, I can get it on, but i'll need to take it somewhere to have them evap it and charge it and all. Will I be able to drive the truck until then with the new compressor, or will I have to have it all done the same day ? If that's the case im gonna just need to get someone to fix it I guess.

Thanks

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts