Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

A/C converted to R134?

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
How can we tell if the AC system in the 79 was converted?

The mechanic noted that a conversion by a licensed tech requires certain stickers to be put on it after the conversion, but if it was done by someone that wasn't licensed in the AC area, it can still be converted, just not labeled....any way to tell?

He didn't want to drain the freon and risk damaging his machine if it was still r12.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
How can we tell if the AC system in the 79 was converted?

The mechanic noted that a conversion by a licensed tech requires certain stickers to be put on it after the conversion, but if it was done by someone that wasn't licensed in the AC area, it can still be converted, just not labeled....any way to tell?

He didn't want to drain the freon and risk damaging his machine if it was still r12.

the stickers come with the conversion "kits" even for the backyard mech to put on.. but some people do and dont put them on.. if your tech cant tell by looking at the system then find a new tech...

if someone converted your r12 to 134A there will be aluminum fittings screwed onto your high and low pressure test ports... can these fittings be taken off and left off and still filled with 134A yes... but no point in it. without the fittings the 134a machine wont fit on an r12 system.. another reason if he doesnt know this to run to another tech...

without the fittings short of someone pulling a sample of the freon and sending it to a lab theres no other other way to tell..

ac_service_fittings.gif

to giver you an idea of how different the fittings are.. also the pressure readings are different for R12 vs 134A. 134A operates at a higher pressure than R12 does. so if he has a pressure manifold gauge set hed be able to tell this from using that.

Last edited:

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Oh wow....they are different.....sucks that this guy wouldn't know that.

Thank you.....appreciate the info.....I'll take a quick look at the fittings and post some pics here.

Sent from my SM-N915R4 using Tapatalk

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
If the guy didn't know that 12 was a different fitting, there is no way I would let him service MY A/C

You need to go to an ase certified tech for that. there is a pretty hefty fine for playing with freon without a licence, and I'm betting that guy don't have one

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
134a you dont need one thats why its sold over the shelf... they consider it environmentally friendly.. so its not regulated.. but r12 ya do need licensed/certified to buy.. im actually licensed for r12 :)

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
If the guy didn't know that 12 was a different fitting, there is no way I would let him service MY A/C

You need to go to an ase certified tech for that. there is a pretty hefty fine for playing with freon without a licence, and I'm betting that guy don't have one

134a you dont need one thats why its sold over the shelf... they consider it environmentally friendly.. so its not regulated.. but r12 ya do need licensed/certified to buy.. im actually licensed for r12 :)

He said he was certified to service r134, so just another red flag...I think I'll ask him about anyways....i'm curious what he'll say.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
the stickers come with the conversion "kits" even for the backyard mech to put on.. but some people do and dont put them on.. if your tech cant tell by looking at the system then find a new tech...

if someone converted your r12 to 134A there will be aluminum fittings screwed onto your high and low pressure test ports... can these fittings be taken off and left off and still filled with 134A yes... but no point in it. without the fittings the 134a machine wont fit on an r12 system.. another reason if he doesnt know this to run to another tech...

without the fittings short of someone pulling a sample of the freon and sending it to a lab theres no other other way to tell..

ac_service_fittings.gif

to giver you an idea of how different the fittings are.. also the pressure readings are different for R12 vs 134A. 134A operates at a higher pressure than R12 does. so if he has a pressure manifold gauge set hed be able to tell this from using that.
2b3327747b627e08b618c0cfe17923d5.jpg

8734b4a5e71e0a6b70aa85998c883680.jpg

Sent from my SM-N915R4 using Tapatalk

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Sorry....so, based on the pictures, R134? I still can't tell....did I take the right pictures?

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
He said he was certified to service r134, so just another red flag...I think I'll ask him about anyways....i'm curious what he'll say.

hes referring to hes passed the ref/rec certification and if claiming ASE cert tech has prolly passed that test too.. some can pass tests and still be a sucky mechanic.. others can be an excellent mechanic but couldnt pass a test to save their lifes... i fall in the 2nd part...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC

this one looks like you got a pic of the one fitting there on the lower hose.. with the protective cap still on it can be hard to tell.. (the one pointing towards your driver side fender there..) but looks like r12 to me.. usually your high side there

the other (low side) is typically mounted on the drier itself.. (roundish looking canister thing)

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts