Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

92 F150 - Shudder under power

Hi all. My 92 F150 rwd with automatic trans will shudder under power. Last week it seemed to be loosing power under load. It would rev high going uphill and just not seem to get moving like it should. I replaced the fuel filter and then it seemed to rev and move up a hill like normal except now there is a shudder when the motor is under power. On level surface is seems to cruise fine but the shudder returns as soon as I give it a little gas. Motor doesn't want to die or anything. I toggled between tanks in case it might be the fuel pump but there was no difference.

Is starts and idles just fine. The shudder is new. It has a 5.8L and 150k miles. Trans was flushed about 6-7k miles ago.

I saw something about checking the CAT on a Bronco in another post. Stated it may be clogged. Is that possible for this rig? Where would I check? Could it be the universal joint at wither the DIFF or Trans going out?

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks!

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
shudder is the torque converter not unlocking
is there enough transmission fluid in it?

Shudder issue resolved

I figured it out. It was the universal joint at the DIFF and middle one connecting the drive shaft to the TRANS. I thought it might be that since it shuddered only from a start to 40 mph. Just glad it wasn't the torque converter.

I took it to a shop and they racked it and went ahead and replaced all three U-Joints and welded a crack in the exhaust. Nice of them.

Drove great. Hauled my 5th wheel this weekend no problem. BTW, it's only a 21' and maxes out at 3100lbs. Well within the towing capacity. Though I'd mention that in case anyone's ears perked up at the thought of an F150 and 5th wheel combo.

Ford Truck Articles