Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

86 250 window crank swap

Hey all, I have an 86 250, hardest working truck I ever had, 105k and still no rust. It has electric window cranks, and both motors have worn out. I would love to switch to hand cranks. Is this possible? Will hand cranks mount right up in the doors in place of the electrics? Thanks for the help.

I saw a show a while back where they did the opposite, hand crank to electric. As far as parts, you will need to get the manual from the wreckers? On the show they had to drill out the rivets that held the mechanism in place to swap parts. Looked like it wasn't that bad of a job. Have you looked on Youtube?

Fellro

Staff member
I do believe it to be a bolt out swap, but the holes are not in your door panels for it. Sometimes you can simply clean the old gunk grease out of the regulator channels and get a bit more life out of the motors. For the work, you can also swap out the motor, the job is about the same.

Thanks for the replies. I HATE electric windows, I live in Vermont and when it is -30 out they never work. I like to keep it simple, do dads always wear out and make work. I have pulled the passenger mechanism, I did have to drill out rivets. If all I have to do is drill new holes for the hand crankers, well, sounds like a go to me.

Thanks for the replies. I HATE electric windows, I live in Vermont and when it is -30 out they never work. I like to keep it simple, do dads always wear out and make work. I have pulled the passenger mechanism, I did have to drill out rivets. If all I have to do is drill new holes for the hand crankers, well, sounds like a go to me.

awesome :)

Fellro

Staff member
The door structure will have all the cutouts you need, it is just the interior panel. There are enough people looking for power window interior panels, you might be able to find a pair to swap.

All good news... Someday I will post a pic of the old girl. Came from AZ by way of Los Vegas, I picked it up in Portsmouth NH for $4000. When I got it there wasn't even dirt in the frame rails. Needless to say I bought this girl to work, She's a heavy hauler on the farm all summer, and runs a 9'plow and an 8' road sander in the back all winter. The 460 tied to a C6 gits it done. It runs an Edelbrock carb, no problems, starts at -35, put in a hand choke to give her the fuel she LOVES!.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Try cleaning the channels out. Makes "worn out" windows work like new most of the time.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts