Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

80's Bronco Steering Wheel - Will it fit?

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
It seems to be that the early 80's steering wheels are exactly the same as the 78-79 wheels, but I just wanted to ask if there are any dumb little hidden troubles in swapping one into my truck, ie, turn signal canceller, etc..

I went to the you-pull-it last weekend and found the best looking wheel I've ever seen in a scrap yard- it was in an early 80's Bronco. Really nice shape and cleaned up well. I got it, some spare marker lights, and interior knobs all for $10.

My wheel is split in two places and the horn pad is missing a couple of chunks, so I'd like to put this nice salvaged wheel in if there are no hidden headaches.

Thanks-

The locking steering changes things electrically ie: harness-connectors

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Oh, right- it had the ignition in the column.

I only took the wheel though, not the whole column, so the only electical connections I have to deal with are the ones for the horn buttons.

I forgot to mention the Bronco was an automatic trans, and my truck is a four speed.

Does any of this make the wheel only incompatible with my existing '79 steering column?

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
The steering wheel itself should work. The only that may not work would be the cruise, but if you don't have that, than I think you should be fine.

speed control items are NOT part of the steering wheel.

I mistakenly assumed you wanted to change the column not just the wheel.

The wheel should be a direct fit unless they changed the shaft size.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Thanks guys! I figured it should work, but I also know how Ford has always loved to make little unexpected changes for no reason.

Buck- nope, no cruise anyway.

Dennis - I wondered about shaft size, too. (insert dirty joke here) 78F250SCCS post seems to eliminate that issue, too.

Cool - my new wheel works!

Thanks again guys.

I have done this several times using the nice wheels from the late 80 to 91 vans. Most of the time you will need to take a round file to the wheel as they put in a flat spot to make them go on only 1 way. Just file with a round file on the flat spot until it slides on to the splines & all good. Even the cruise works with out any problems. (I know you don't have cruise but might help someone in the future)
John

Fellro

Staff member
Going newer to older should work, but watch out going the other way. Tried that with our 79 E150 to my 86 F250. On the older wheel there is a flat spot where there were no splines, the newer one didn't have that, if I remember right. It was for lining it up when you pull the wheel off and put it back on. otherwise all is fine.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
I have done this several times using the nice wheels from the late 80 to 91 vans. Most of the time you will need to take a round file to the wheel as they put in a flat spot to make them go on only 1 way. Just file with a round file on the flat spot until it slides on to the splines & all good. Even the cruise works with out any problems. (I know you don't have cruise but might help someone in the future)
John

Going newer to older should work, but watch out going the other way. Tried that with our 79 E150 to my 86 F250. On the older wheel there is a flat spot where there were no splines, the newer one didn't have that, if I remember right. It was for lining it up when you pull the wheel off and put it back on. otherwise all is fine.

Yeah, the new wheel has what I would call a "notch" in it that would fit over a "key" on the shaft. I'm hoping the '79 collumn is the same set up.

My truck is still buried in the back of the garage, so I haven't put the wheel on yet.

Yeah, the new wheel has what I would call a "notch" in it that would fit over a "key" on the shaft. I'm hoping the '79 collumn is the same set up.

My truck is still buried in the back of the garage, so I haven't put the wheel on yet.

Like I said all my 79s do not have a flat spot on the shaft but a couple of mins with a round file on the wheel & no problem.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts