Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

78 f 250 I need more alternator for camper!?

I am starting to integrate the camper to the truck electrical system ! I think stock alternator is around 60 amps! Any advice on how big i need , i have 3 batteries! I am not even sure what is available!? looks like fun at any rate!! I just put in another battery tray on the drivers side,and there is an isolator by the jack mount. any way I thought it might be a good discussion! thanks in advance! D

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Can't address how much juice you need, but they make several "one-wire" alternators that can produce up to 250 amps. One suggestion that was given to me by Mark(m78) was to take your old alternator to a motor rewind shop and have them rewind your current alternator to whatever size you need.

Fellro

Staff member
Another option is the 3G upgrade. You take a newer alternator from like a Taurus or newer Mustang and refit it to your truck.

Have a look here for ideas if nothing more. Left Eye Blind builds a plug and play solution, or if you don't want to buy it all, you can build your own hookup.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Factory 60 amp...I'd say without a doubt you'd need to upgrade. I'm sure Duncan could give the wizardry behind electrical outputs and what thee ideal range is...but the factory alt can barely keep up with stock items. I did the LEB 3G swap, can't believe I've waited so long to go 3g, ridiculously easy. I went with the 130amp alt, and I believe they go to 270 amp.

Here's their site:

http://left-eye-blind-racing-and-fa...alternators-and-harnesses-160-200-240-270-amp

Here's my swap:

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36253

Great guys...shared quite a few beers with them, been to their south shop a couple times and even met Paul down in Savannah on vacation.

Thanks ! For now i think i will locate a 130amp and see what that gets me! This thing will have quite a bit going out with all the lights and stuff, also have a small generartor and a small solar panel on the roof! Now if the weather would cooperate i could get some of the stuff done!

I did want to say as a reminder!!!! When working on even the simplest electrical project , disconnect the battery!lol I was running some wires for extra stuff under the hood to get ready for the second battery. I was screwing a hanger to a factory detent hole in the fire wall with self taping screw. I was right next to a known hot wire , as the self tapper was going in, the hot wire myteriously jumped up and got under the screw! lol! I can laugh about it now ,it cut the wire and went direct to ground and smoked the whole section of that harness! So not taking 30 seconds to dissconnect cost me an hour to redo! Anyhow just a safety tip ! Thanks again!

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I also went with a 130 amp alternator. I went with a one wire one and when it takes a crap, I may do the actual 3G swap for ease of replacing the alternator since most parts stores carry them. One wire alternators most likely would need to order. But so far, mine works good. Jut remember to use good cables for higher amperage. I used 4 gauge cable and a mega fuse for my one wire.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts