Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

71 F-100

primetime

sawmill slave
Roy, I imagine all the cool parts you have tracked down distracted you.YelloThumbUp But thank you.

Duncan, they might. I guess we`ll see. They are kind of butch, a little crude, but I`m used to keeping stuff at the mill going. As long as it works, I`m good. A little grinding, a little paint, and they will be just fine. I think.:)

I reread last nights post, and I was a little hard to follow on the king pins. The drums don`t really bother me. When they are adjusted right, and everything is in good working order, there is nothing wrong with drums. For what this truck is going to do, they would be just fine.

But, it needs the pins replaced, and if I drop the beams, I might as well put all new bushings in it also. If it aint broke, don`t fix it, but if it is, make it better. So that leads to a disc setup using gen 6 stuff (which me nor the local yard has, but a guy I know in Gaylord probably does), or a panther front end swap, which will require an Explorer axle so the wheels match. And 17" wheels.

I really want to do a panther swap, but I don`t want it to sit another summer. So I don`t know. It basically comes down to money, and how long do I want to wait, and what will fall into my lap. So we will see.

Boy, sure is a lot of stuff for a truck that "runs and is driveable" huh?

primetime

sawmill slave
Been messing with it a little. All the parts and pieces for both cab mounts are done and mounted, welding is almost done. What can I say say, I dislike welding, and tin welding is a pain with stick, so I go until I get irritated and walk away.

Pulled the seat and floor mat so I could get a good look at the floor rot and the forty years of accumulated grime.

SANY0319.JPG

Hit it with the shop vac.
SANY0322.JPG

I thought about it, and I`m just going to buy floor pans. They are $40 a piece from LMC.'hiding_smilie' It ain`t worth my time to scab something in there for that kind of money.

SANY0320.JPG

SANY0321.JPG

I heated and bent the shifter lever so reverse wasn`t such a stretch, probably should have taken a before pic.

SANY0323.JPG

I snagged a carb off a newer 300 this morning (the throttle shaft in mine is floppier than a puppy dogs ear, so not going to do a kit).

I also removed the fuel lines for the in cab tank, cut off some bolts that must have been left over from a camper shell, and started getting into the lights.

Tomorrow I`m going to sneak out of work early enough to hit the parts store and buy a base gasket for the carb and a new fuel filter. Once it is running and the cab mounts are done I`ll back it out out of the garage and really scrub the inside of the cab. I really think it will clean up nicely.

Since I`m on the subject of the interior, the plan is black carpet to match the black dashpad I have, black carpet on the back cab wall, and kick panels. Than my grey seat will blend.YelloThumbUp Rust bullet and peel and seal are also planned. And while on the subject, can anyone tell me what the actual name for peel and seal is? I`ve been to both my local Lowes and Home Depot, and when I say peel and seal, they look at me like I just stepped off the short bus.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You talking about the rubber membrane stuff?

primetime

sawmill slave
I don`t know for sure. It has a foil cover and people all over the web use it to knock down interior noise because it is cheap. They all say get it at the home improvement stores. Heck, I think Ben put it in his Bronco.

primetime

sawmill slave
Really? Four repeat posts? Hughesnet is really starting to p*** me off withe their throttling bs.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

primetime

sawmill slave
Thanks for the link Duncan. I`ll check it out.

cbaker, don`t hold out on me. Have you read my thread/:rofl: Seriously though, I want to know the downsides.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Anytime Justin....and at $40 for the pan you can't go wrong.

Thanks for the link Duncan. I`ll check it out.

cbaker, don`t hold out on me. Have you read my thread/:rofl: Seriously though, I want to know the downsides.

Lol....I didnt use the sound deadning matt...It isnt matting at all.
Its that pipe insulating foiled bubble rap....'hiding_smilie'

" Honey,quit popping my bubbles damit".....'smiliedoh'

primetime

sawmill slave
That`s what I thought. Even if I still have to tweak it, it saves time not building it.

I found Bens Bronco thread, doesn`t sound as though he has used the peel and seal yet. Maybe I`ll message him.

You know, that is one of the things I hate about the web. You can run into 25 or 30 (or more, or less, let`s be realistic) threads where people are doing something, but a lot of the time it`s implied that you should just know. I love looking at truck stuff all over the place, but I`m not joining every forum I com across just to ask one question, and while I don`t have a problem searching, I`m not looking through 100,000 Google results to find the answer either. But I digress.:beer:

primetime

sawmill slave
Lol....I didnt use the sound deadning matt...It isnt matting at all.
Its that pipe insulating foiled bubble rap....'hiding_smilie'

" Honey,quit popping my bubbles damit".....'smiliedoh'

Yep, not the stuff I`m referring to. But I like how you think.:beer:

primetime

sawmill slave
I had a little bit of scrap to haul in, so I decided to make today a junkyard day. I crossed the scale, rounded the corner to the crusher, and there sat a 79 F-350 super camper special. And the yard boss pulling stuff out of the back. He waved me around so I could get to my pile, but there wasn`t anyone behind me, so I piled out of the truck so I could eyeball it.

Of course I wanted it. Big block, scs, Yep, it`d look pretty good next to my F-100. But it`s a real bummer when the guy at the junkyard is a Ford guy. He snags all the cool stuff as it comes in. However, there is only a couple of us in town, so it`s good to have him on my side. He does have a tendency to have to many projects and resell them, so I told him to give me first crack.

Anyways, I wandered around and found some cool stuff to shoot my wad on. How about some pics?

They have had a 71 Sport/Custom for a while, and I finally pulled some parts, like this steering box that is way better than mine, and came off way to easy. No skinned knuckles, and no cussing at all. Took the fun right out of it.
SANY0325.JPG

I wanted the door panels with the intentions of dyeing them black, but the cardboard is in pretty bad shape, so I don`t know, but I have a door panel fetish, so what the heck.
SANY0326.JPG

My passenger side headlight bezel is pretty beat up, and my pedal pads are smoked, luckily they were good on this truck.
SANY0327.JPG

I also grabbed the taillight trim with the intention of cleaning it up and useing it on mine, but straightning it out might be beyond me. I don`t know. But I`ll try. The junkyard truck also has a tailgate trim panel I am thinking about snagging.
SANY0328.JPG

I snagged a Duraspark distributor off a mid 80`s 300.
SANY0329.JPG

And not for the truck, but I couldn`t pass it up. Dear Mr. stang banger, thank you for leaving the cool stuff on your pride and joy when you scrapped it.:wavey:
Performer intake
SANY0330.JPG

It was sporting allen head bolts with these nifty anodized caps. How about the super long carb studs?
SANY0331.JPG

Air cleaner lid that should clean up nicely.
SANY0332.JPG

The stang had a rear mounted battery. I noticed the 1 gauge cable sneaking through the firewall while I was getting the goods. Catching the herp or a bad case of tweaking crossed my mind right before I dived inside to fish it out.
SANY0333.JPG

The battery was just sitting there, and the hatch glass, quarter windows, and sunroof were all painted black on the inside:suspicious: . There was also a push button starter hooked up with lamp cord, and yellow 12 ga wire running all over the place under the hood.

I had intentions of using the MSD coil on the 71, but when I looked up the part number, it`s for MSD ignitions only. Yeah the yard boss mentioned getting that off of the stang. I found a wiring harness for the dizzy in my stash, I should have a box and coil around here somewhere.

All together it was $127.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Great haul and great price Justin!!

primetime

sawmill slave
Thanks Duncan. I`m pretty happy. The wife was a little perturbed that I was gone all day, but I have more pieces to my puzzle. Yeah!

primetime

sawmill slave
I finally got around to installing the new used steering box. The rag joint was whipped, so I got a new one. Only took about 7" of play out the wheel.:wavey:

SANY0343.JPG

SANY0345.JPG

I put the brake line bracket back on after the pic.

Ford Truck Articles