Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

67 starting problem

Ok so I picked up this 67 f250 with a 73 360 swapped in from a buddy for real cheap with the trans out. I have big plans for it In the future but for the short term I need it to be road worthy. I got a new trans for cheap and put it in and now is where I'm having a problem. A few months ago this truck ran fine and now I cannot for the life of me get it started. I replaced the relay and the starter twice, both starters I purchased bench test fine in the store but at home take a running vehicle and a 300amp jump box to engage. That doesn't seem right but 2 starters in a row same thing?
And I can't seem to get the starting system to do anything but click once. I have good voltage into the relay. With a running vehicle jumping the truck it shows 2v at the starter while cranking. I'm really just confused where to go from here, any help is appreciated.

93 F250 3k in rebuilt 460
03 Xterra on 32s-stock for now
2005 Mustang-stock for now

Ok so I picked up this 67 f250 with a 73 360 swapped in from a buddy for real cheap with the trans out. I have big plans for it In the future but for the short term I need it to be road worthy. I got a new trans for cheap and put it in and now is where I'm having a problem. A few months ago this truck ran fine and now I cannot for the life of me get it started. I replaced the relay and the starter twice, both starters I purchased bench test fine in the store but at home take a running vehicle and a 300amp jump box to engage. That doesn't seem right but 2 starters in a row same thing?
And I can't seem to get the starting system to do anything but click once. I have good voltage into the relay. With a running vehicle jumping the truck it shows 2v at the starter while cranking. I'm really just confused where to go from here, any help is appreciated.

When you changed trans.,Did you use the original flywheel,or did change
flywheels?Im asking because sometimes the gear on starter is broke
in to the original flywheel,an when you swap those parts like that,it can
wreak havoc.The starter could be hanging up on the flywheel.
An sometimes if you dont use the right starter bolts will effect it also.
Starter bolts have a shoulder on them to help line starter up when mounted.

Also it could be a bad ground....Hope this might help...:)

Forgot to add,check an make sure that your ignition switch is good an
tight.Mine was loose,not grounding good,I tightened it,an it cured my
problem....smilieFordlogo

Ok I did not change the flywheel and this starter has a nice thick section that guides it into place instead of the bolts. But I'm using the exact same bolts and the same flywheel.
I already cleaned up my ground it definitely should not be the problem.
The ignition idea is one to look into however I still cannot get the starter to even make a noise when jumping the relay.

Ok I did not change the flywheel and this starter has a nice thick section that guides it into place instead of the bolts. But I'm using the exact same bolts and the same flywheel.
I already cleaned up my ground it definitely should not be the problem.
The ignition idea is one to look into however I still cannot get the starter to even make a noise when jumping the relay.

The only thing else that I can think of,is to take starter back off an try
to connect it straight to a battery to see if the bendix pushes the gear
out.It may be too tight on shaft,an needs to be loosen up,try putting
some grease on the shaft that the gear slides on.

Someone else may have an idea of your problem an chime in,so
hang in there...:) :)

The only thing else that I can think of,is to take starter back off an try
to connect it straight to a battery to see if the bendix pushes the gear
out.It may be too tight on shaft,an needs to be loosen up,try putting
some grease on the shaft that the gear slides on.

Someone else may have an idea of your problem an chime in,so
hang in there...:) :)

That's not a bad idea.
I can't get the starter to kick with one battery it's taken a battery and a 300amp jump box. That doesn't seem normal to me but both new starters I purchased were like that

73 K20 6" lift
67 F250 2x4

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Have you done a load test on the battery? Also check the battery cables, they can look good on the outside but can be heavily corroded internally.

Have you done a load test on the battery? Also check the battery cables, they can look good on the outside but can be heavily corroded internally.

I was thinking about the load test on the battery but I was using a brand new one in a running vehicle so it should have been fine.
The cables are fairly new and I just installed the battery.

73 K20 6" lift
67 F250 2x4

I just had a thought about the voltage drop. The current travels the path of least resistance right? I'm unsure of that but I know the POS lead on the relay has other things attached there as well. Could one of those wires down the line have gotten sliced and is grounding out? Could that cause the voltage drop while cranking?

Also when I bench tested this starter I attached
Leads from a multimeter to the cables and it dropped from 12.6v to roughly 2v when attempting to engage the starter then as well, I thought that was very odd.

73 K20 6" lift
67 F250 2x4

I just had a thought about the voltage drop. The current travels the path of least resistance right? I'm unsure of that but I know the POS lead on the relay has other things attached there as well. Could one of those wires down the line have gotten sliced and is grounding out? Could that cause the voltage drop while cranking?

Leads from a multimeter to the cables and it dropped from 12.6v to roughly 2v when attempting to engage the starter then as well, I thought that was very odd.

73 K20 6" lift
67 F250 2x4

Is that a new starter or reman.?

It could be something is in a bind,or to tight inside the starter,
perhaps just needs broke in...:)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

73 K20 6" lift
67 F250 2x4

You referring to the starting solenoid?. If you had that much of a drawdown to make the battery go to 2 volts, there is an huge amount of current going somewhere......a very poor connection, pooched battery or the starter binding on something.
Very unlikely that one of those wires you mentioned are causing it as they would have long since burned up.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
How about all your grounding points on the engine? That can make a huge difference.

Should be at least two ground straps, one from the body to engine and from frame to engine.

Wanted to let y'all who may care know what happened. In this case the problem ended up being my flywheel was off camber a bit. Removed and re tightened the torque converter nuts being more careful and she turned right over.
Thanks for the responses they are appreciated.

73 K20 6" lift
67 F250 2x4

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts