Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

5.0 H.O. Intake

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
So I got my hands on a intake off of a 5.0 H.O. today in auto shop. Is this intake worth putting on my truck?? Or is it even possible? The single throttle body has me a little conserned. I am planning on taking all my emmision crap off of my truck when (if) i change this intake.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Yes it is. But you will need to do a few things first.
I can't remember what computer you need from a Mustang GT you will need but someone here should know.
Also you may need to change the pins around.

It will help your truck in the performance dept and change it from Speed Density tp Maf Mass Air Flow which is easier to hop up

No need to change anything to do with the computer, you just need to unwrap the wire harness a bit so the EGR and TPS connectors reach the new location. If you have the early HO intake(without the small elbow for the TB), then you can reverse the upper and get the TB over on the drivers side, this will make connecting the throttle cable easier and you can route the air intake tubing to the stock location.

This intake has MUCH smaller intake runners than the truck intake so it will produce much better low rpm and midrange TQ. Adding a 1" spacer between the upper and lower will help here too and may be necessary for valve cover clearance.

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
Yes it is. But you will need to do a few things first.
I can't remember what computer you need from a Mustang GT you will need but someone here should know.
Also you may need to change the pins around.

It will help your truck in the performance dept and change it from Speed Density tp Maf Mass Air Flow which is easier to hop up

You don't have to change the computer, I don't know where your getting that info from?? And my truck already has MAF.

Michigan
lmao ooo gawd here we go....

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
You don't have to change the computer, I don't know where your getting that info from?? And my truck already has MAF.

Then you need to put more information in your post instead part of a question.

Because yours has been changed no 94 came with MAF not even the Lightning.

So take that to the Bank Mr.Expert

Last edited:
Michigan

No his has factory MAF.

Your thinking of the 351. Lightnings had 351 and they didnt start using MAF on those motors untill around 1996. Most 302s have maf factory. He states he has a 302 in his sig.

I think the intake would be pretty cool on the truck. Just go to parts galore and find a TB off of a thunderbird that has the HO style intake.

BUT! post a picture of it or tell us if the TB is pointed towards the passengers side, or the drivers side. Reason being is that the Thunderbird HO intakes that i saw at the junk yard had the TB pointing towards the drivers side, which would be Awesome and much more easier to hook up! Good luck, if you need any pointers on taking the emissions off then just give us a ring.

Reguards to the emissions i seriously wouldnt recommend it, i wish i didnt touch mine. Only reason i did is because of the exhaust upgrade and no plug for the EGR tube to run into my header. So i felt it would be easier just to block it off and run the block off sensor from RJM.

Then the motor blew, so while it was out i just plugged the back of the heads and re routed vac lines. Successful but sorta a PITA.

Last edited:

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
Then you need to put more information in your post instead part of a question.

So take that to the Bank Mr.Expert

Wow you look pretty stupid now dont you buddy.... considering EVERY 94 came with factory MAF. So get your facts right before you post!!

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Keep it friendly, guys...there's no reason to make it personal.

Wow you look pretty stupid now dont you buddy.... considering EVERY 94 came with factory MAF. So get your facts right before you post!!

friendly.. hmm

sorry to tell you bud, YOUR the only one looking stupid for running your mouth! People make mistakes.. dont come on here, ask a question and run your mouth.. were all trying to help you.. to many variants of engines so its very EASY to mix them up, give em a break will ya

I have a 94 5.0 and it is MAF.. i believe all 94 5.0s are MAF, starting 94 the 302 got a little more power cause they changed the firing order to what the 351 is

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok

You Know Mr. Expert since you know it all why bother joining a forum like this?

Oh yeah I forgot you're 17 and know everything so next time you post a question you say you already know the answer to,Don't you're wasting people time.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
No not all 94 302's have maf I have had more than 1 without it.

But Back to topic, These types of threads can draw allot of interest. Good for us

if you found an intake off an explorer with the 5.0, its the same thingas the cobra intake (i believe) and it faces the right direction so you can use the throttle cable you already have

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
but some cobra's intake has the neck that faces the throttle body forward if its pu to face the passenger side.. soo you cant switch it from sides.. otherwise the throttle body will be facing back.. to the firewall

but some cobra's intake has the neck that faces the throttle body forward if its pu to face the passenger side.. soo you cant switch it from sides.. otherwise the throttle body will be facing back.. to the firewall

oh.. lol.. the cobra intakes that ive seen are either left or right... ive just been told the explorer intake is the same as a cobra.. and if u use an explorer intake, you might have to do less modfying cause its already on a 5.0 thats non H.O

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
i ment the cobra intake has a fixed neck.. the explorer doesnt have a neck if you dont want to put one in soo it will just be looking straight left or right :)

and the new firing order is a result of the new roller camshaft grind for the year. Same one in the V8 Exploders.

mines NOT a roller motor though..

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts