Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

460 Tfi

I got some advice to check the tfi on my 86 460. I do not have one on the distributor, where else could it be an what does it look like, is it like the distributor mounted ones?

Fellro

Staff member
They are on the driver side fender sometimes for the 460, if it doesn't have the Duraspark II ignition, which is a larger control box.

So this is what I call the ICM, ignition control module. Mine IS on the drivers side fender. I think Ive replaced it before, got one on order, will install today. I got the truck into my shop last night to work on the sander, and I think that was the last gasp for the ICM, it wouldn't start to drive back up to the house. I thinking good thoughts tho, nothing like a new ICM to get things rolling again. While I was poking around, I was thinking about my last truck which had a 302, and I had to change a relay that was by the drivers fender, a little green cube. I cant remember, was that a fuel relay?

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I got some advice to check the tfi [confused] on my 86 460. I do not have one on the distributor, where else could it be and what does it look like?

Is it like the distributor mounted ones?
No.
DuraSpark ignition modules mounted on the left fender inner apron are not TFI modules. And since this is where your module is located, it's not a TFI

1U2Z-12A199-AA (replaced D9VZ-12A199-A & D6AZ-12A199-B) .. Ignition Module-blue (Motorcraft DY-893) / Available from Ford

1976/79 F100/350 460 (and etc) - 1980/81 F150/350 & Bronco 400 - 1982/89 F250/350 460 / Misc: 1976/90's Passenger Cars & Econolines.

DuraSpark ignition modules are identified by a colored plastic square (see blue above) located above where the wires feed out.

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
I was referring to later models, not locked in to the 86 only. I have seen a module that looks identical to a TFI mounted to the inner fender in a heat sink on later models such as my 92 460.

Fellro

Staff member
This is the type module configuration I was thinking of.

heatsinkdiagram1.gif

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts