Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

First real mod

on The Hog.
This truck was purchased for my son originally because he wanted something he could play with without feeling bad. OK. So We dragged it home, had some electrical issues, and before it was reliable he got a nicer one. So guess who's keeping this one?

I had to replace motor mounts as it was twisting so bad the throttle would open just dropping it in gear.

The steering was a nightmare! Not sure what was supposed to be on it but here's some before pics. I suppose it is technically crossover steering but......

IMG_0354.JPG

IMG_03511.JPG

So I wanted steering that is actually supposed to be on these trucks. Or at least a somewhat "stock" set up I can get parts for. I found this set-up recommended on a couple forums besides this one, and when I found the entire setup in the junk yard on someone else's woods truck I had to have it.
I still need to clean up the crossover as I whittled it a bit to fit things in but it's much cleaner, parts can be found, and it was literally 1000% cheaper than what I was about to do.
Hog_steering_box.jpg

Hog_arm.jpg

I still need to replace the butchered shock tower, but it steers like it should for the first time since we brought it home.

Thanks for all the help with my silly questions. I'm not into restoration as you can see, but I think these are some of the best real trucks that were ever made.smilieFordlogo

Fellro

Staff member
That was certainly a scary setup, good that you got it changed before things got real hairy. That looked to be a Chevy box, then they welded the tie rod end in? Never pass an inspection if it were to need to. I could go on for a while about why it didn't work, but you did the best thing in getting a proper box and tie rod setup on it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts