Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What have you done to your 351M/400

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I got a 351 in my garage right now that I pulled out of a junk truck. Also .060 over is as far as you want to go but Ive heard of .080 and even .125 on FEs.

Yeah, I've heard that too. I knew .060 was about the limit you wanted to go on 335's, but then you have to start worrying about cylinder wall thickness. As far as the .125 on FE's...I have heard of that too, something like some folks were trying to turn there 390 into a 427 sideoiler or something. Anyways, I've talked to some experts, and they say that there's only a handful of blocks out there that can actually hold that .125 bore, the rest fail miserably.

FTF'er
I'm just wondering what you guys have done or plan to do to your 351M/400.

[smartass]

I took out my 351M and set it on the shop floor. Future plans include hauling it away for scrap.

[/smartass]

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
My 428 that I blew up was .060 over and two cylinders cracked so Im thinkin maybe see if we can get er sleeved but its down the road. The 427s bore was 4.23 and a 390s is 4.05 but the 427 was a reinforced block with thickened up walls too. We were thinkin about borin out the 352 I have to match the 4.08 bore of my 390 which would be .080 over but thats another story for another day.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah I know Don, but this is just an extremely mild build and can't afford much else. I'm doing the exct same build in my Bronco as I did in Red, which is a Dyno'd 347hp/442tq at the rear wheels, and this is all for under $3000. So I'm pretty happy with that, right now I'd be happy if I could keep good oil pressure and stopped blowing oil all over the place in the Bronco. But after the Bronco comes a moderate to wild build on the 460 in Thunder, since I have the first engine on a stand. Then comes a moderate to wild build in Red, then the Bronco will be up to bat again.

My first post here, I just got my new 400 running its about 350 hp/400tq, I believe.

.040 over, 9.5:1, Xe262h, Headman Headers,weiand 8010, Edel 1411

Hey UTfball, what are your plans for your 460? My 95 has 106k and runs great but I'm already thinking about upgrades. I am told the computer wont take many mods. Mine has headers and a chip other than that its stock.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
wyazel, great to see you over here...your 400 sounds like the exact same build I'm gonna do to my Bronco, and is in my Red truck, with some brand differences though . As far as the 460 is concerned. It's on a stand right now, and I haven't even started researching on it yet. I was thinking a 557 stroker, but Don showed me some info and convinced me that a 521 would be the way to go. So I really have no clue what I wanna do beyond that.

As far as the 460 is concerned. It's on a stand right now, and I haven't even started researching on it yet. I was thinking a 557 stroker, but Don showed me some info and convinced me that a 521 would be the way to go. So I really have no clue what I wanna do beyond that.
Today 10:01 PM

that would be badass I didnt know you could do that with these efi 460's. We are talking about the same thing right?(ur 96 460) Let me know what you find out I'd like to rebuild mine when the time comes.

My first post here, I just got my new 400 running its about 350 hp/400tq, I believe.

.040 over, 9.5:1, Xe262h, Headman Headers,weiand 8010, Edel 1411

Hey UTfball, what are your plans for your 460? My 95 has 106k and runs great but I'm already thinking about upgrades. I am told the computer wont take many mods. Mine has headers and a chip other than that its stock.

More like 356hp@4500 and 468lbs@3000 YelloThumbUp with taht setup:beer:

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey Tex...that's the same cam I have in my Red truck. I think me and wyazel have almost the same builds, except he went .040 over and I only went .030, and he went with Eddy stuff and I went with Holley. But that's the same build I'm doing in my Bronco too.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Hey Tex...that's the same cam I have in my Red truck. I think me and wyazel have almost the same builds, except he went .040 over and I only went .030, and he went with Eddy stuff and I went with Holley. But that's the same build I'm doing in my Bronco too.

If I was gonna buy a carb and stuff, I'd go with Holley. The Eddy on my truck was free, though, so I don't complain.

Actually, I've thought about putting a Rochester Quadrajet on it...'hiding_smilie'

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
How much Vac dose your truck pull at the cab Ben?

I can't remember exactly because I don't have a vac. gauge but I wanna say it was in the 12# range.

If I was gonna buy a carb and stuff, I'd go with Holley. The Eddy on my truck was free, though, so I don't complain.

Actually, I've thought about putting a Rochester Quadrajet on it...'hiding_smilie'

Nothing wrong with Rochester...good carb. As for the whole Eddy vs Holley thing...I always run the 4150 650 cfm e-choke and vac 2ndaries, great street carb, good offroad carb and can be tuned well for power. One of the main reasons I prefer Holley is because they are wet tested resulting in a mor accurate cfm rating which allos for the 'more power' tuning. Eddy's are dry tested, thusly, the actual cfm's are much lower than the advertised cfm's.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
A mild or wild build can be done with EFI, but you need to plan for more expenses...
Fuel pump, pressure regulator, injectors. New comp probably, and a good tuen....
With a good tuner you can get different power levels for different gas....
And by tuner i mean somebody to tune it for you, not a little hand held unit.

You can get mild tunes, to wild tunes....
Its all up to you.
Tuning is something i am starting to get into...

I went with a costum buit xtreme energy cam, int 269 ext 280, very similar but more mid range oriented obiously with more CR 10:1.... Giving me alot of toruqe...

Ford Truck Articles