Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What have you done to your 351M/400

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey man...glad to see you over here. If you got Sandersons rusting away...I think I may be able to put them to good use for a good price if you're not gonna use them...haha. How's the 400 like that 265 cam? It isn't too much is it?

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Actually rusting away is a figure of speech, they better not rust since I spent the extra coin on the ceramic coating! I just need to find the time to take my terrible Heddmans off and put the Sandies on.

You stated that you have Sandersons on one of your trucks? What method did you use when you installed them? Did you use the optional copper adaptor (4v to 2v) that they also sell? Or just regular 2v gaskets?

No, the 265 isn't too much in my opinion. With my current tire size and gearing (35's and 3.54's) a 255 stick would put me in a better rpm range, though. But I tried to do this build up with the future in mind when I regear the truck to some thing like a 4.30 or 4.56. This cam really sings in the midrange and deeper gears would get it there faster. Don't get me wrong though she still has plenty of grunt down low.....just has more lung capacity now.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Allot of people talk highly of this Tmeyer guy, one question about the 351/400M do all the aftermarket parts for a 351c/w cross over to M model engines? I can find 351 400 M engines allot easyer then the C or W's?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Actually rusting away is a figure of speech, they better not rust since I spent the extra coin on the ceramic coating! I just need to find the time to take my terrible Heddmans off and put the Sandies on.

You stated that you have Sandersons on one of your trucks? What method did you use when you installed them? Did you use the optional copper adaptor (4v to 2v) that they also sell? Or just regular 2v gaskets?

I figured you were just being facetious about the headers. I do have Sanderson's on Red. I just went with the 2v gasket. As far as what method I used to put them on...I got them on before I knew too much about working on vehicles, and I had the shop that rebuilt the engine when I first got it do all the work.

Allot of people talk highly of this Tmeyer guy, one question about the 351/400M do all the aftermarket parts for a 351c/w cross over to M model engines? I can find 351 400 M engines allot easyer then the C or W's?

As far as I know, NOTHING from the 351W is tranferrable to the 351M/400, although I've heard of guys using the SB starter on a 335 series, but have yet to actually see it. As far as the 351C is concerned, I really don't know how much can be used on the used on a 335 series. I know there are adapters for intakes, and the Sanderson FC3 headers are actually a 351C header, so those are interchangeable too. I don't believe you can swap too much of anything internally, but I could be wrong about that.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
As far as I know, NOTHING from the 351W is tranferrable to the 351M/400, although I've heard of guys using the SB starter on a 335 series, but have yet to actually see it. As far as the 351C is concerned, I really don't know how much can be used on the used on a 335 series. I know there are adapters for intakes, and the Sanderson FC3 headers are actually a 351C header, so those are interchangeable too. I don't believe you can swap too much of anything internally, but I could be wrong about that.

Then how do you find any thing to work on them I don't see parts for M engines any where..
Maybe I will stay away from M engines..

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Then how do you find any thing to work on them I don't see parts for M engines any where..
Maybe I will stay away from M engines..

Looks like lots of stuff to me:
summit:
http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...08331+4294840135+115+-78221&SearchType=Engine

Jegs:
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...atalogId=10002&langId=-1&N=1527178&Ne=1500000

and of course TMI:

http://www.tmeyerinc.com/

and the Barnett link I posted. Now given there's not as big a market for 335 series as there is for small blocks or 385 series, but there is plenty of stuff out there. The 335 series market seems to have 2-3 producers of a certain part while the SB or 385 series has upwards of 10 producers. You just need to know where to look. Keep in mind, anything besides the crank is swappable between a 351M and 400.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Looks like lots of stuff to me:
summit:
http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...08331+4294840135+115+-78221&SearchType=Engine

Jegs:
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...atalogId=10002&langId=-1&N=1527178&Ne=1500000

and of course TMI:

http://www.tmeyerinc.com/

and the Barnett link I posted. Now given there's not as big a market for 335 series as there is for small blocks or 385 series, but there is plenty of stuff out there. The 335 series market seems to have 2-3 producers of a certain part while the SB or 385 series has upwards of 10 producers. You just need to know where to look. Keep in mind, anything besides the crank is swappable between a 351M and 400.

I wonder why you can't use the same dizzy or intake manifold form a 351W/c on a M engine, just seems kinda weird if you ask me :D
Thanks for the help Ben..

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I wonder why you can't use the same dizzy or intake manifold form a 351W/c on a M engine, just seems kinda weird if you ask me :D
Thanks for the help Ben..

Well the SB is obviously smaller, so I don't think it would physically fit, but I don't claim to know anything about SBF's. As for the the 351C intake, it can be adapted, I know it's been done, but the kit costs about 4-500.I don't know why the 351C doesn't fit, never had/looked at one.

As far as I know, NOTHING from the 351W is tranferrable to the 351M/400, although I've heard of guys using the SB starter on a 335 series, but have yet to actually see it. As far as the 351C is concerned, I really don't know how much can be used on the used on a 335 series. I know there are adapters for intakes, and the Sanderson FC3 headers are actually a 351C header, so those are interchangeable too. I don't believe you can swap too much of anything internally, but I could be wrong about that.[/QUOTE]

I have been using a 1973 302w starter on my 400, it spins it pretty hard, so no prob there...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I knew I had heard that SB starter would work on the 335 series somewhere. Since you're the pro Joe, you mind sharing some info on what elese you know will swap between a SB and 351C with a 335 series?

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
I know that if you swap the drive gears on distributers they'll swap.

As far as Cleveland swapping, correct me if I'm wrong but the cams will work, heads, water pump, timing set, valve covers, and 351c pistons will work in a 400 if you use a bushing to make up the differece in wrist pin diameters.

exactly like unrule said, between a W and a C(or m), olny some accesories would swap, besides that nothing else, although if it counts a 400 crank fits a 351w with some mods, it was a popular mod till forged steal cranks appeared of such stroke...And cleveland heads work on Windsors ith some mods and a boss or costume inatke..

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I have been using a 1973 302w starter on my 400, it spins it pretty hard, so no prob there...
1973: Same A/T starter: 250 I-6 / 302 / 351 / 400 with an FMX only.

400 with a C6 = different starter.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I can see why the M engines are so very unpopular now.

Only if you don't understand them or how to make them go or know where to find parts.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
The 434 I am having built for that 1979 truck will have the 3V CHI heads, CHI manifold, 780 carb, roller rockers and cam, obviously the stroker crank and will do the 4 bolt main caps. Tim figures around 12:1 compression and I should be able to run that here on 91 oct. with the altitude and the AL heads being a closed chamber design.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I don't think I want a engine that I can't swap simple things like intakes, headers dizzy's off other engines I don't the have money to buy every thing new so I buy allot of used stuff off ebay or CL and its not easy to find used parts for M engines.
And on top of that every thing for the M engines is more expensive then the Windsor and Cleveland blocks I can't see the reasoning behind owning a engine that cost more and is harder to find mods then to just find a Windsor block..

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The 434 I am having built for that 1979 truck will have the 3V CHI heads, CHI manifold, 780 carb, roller rockers and cam, obviously the stroker crank and will do the 4 bolt main caps. Tim figures around 12:1 compression and I should be able to run that here on 91 oct. with the altitude and the AL heads being a closed chamber design.

Holy hell, 12:1 and 91 octane. Hell even with my engine at 350hp/440 tq it's gonna have to run premium (but I'm only doing bare minimum upgrades, no heads, or valve work, etc). I always loved Tim's 434 and will have one eventurally. If you don't mind me asking, how much is your total build gonna cost?

I don't think I want a engine that I can't swap simple things like intakes, headers dizzy's off other engines I don't the have money to buy every thing new so I buy allot of used stuff off ebay or CL and its not easy to find used parts for M engines.
And on top of that every thing for the M engines is more expensive then the Windsor and Cleveland blocks I can't see the reasoning behind owning a engine that cost more and is harder to find mods then to just find a Windsor block..

Well then buy a Chevy, I hear all they're junk swaps...As far as I know, Ford Small blocks are only swappable with eachother and some 6's, 335 series have some swappable stuff, 385 series are swappable within eachother. Given that's a loose statement. The stuff you listed, for a SB, you'd need another 302 or 351W, with the 335 series, you'd need a 351M or 400 (and sometimes a 351C) and with the 385 series, you'd need a 429 or 460 to be able to swap stuff. SO it's not like the 335 series isn't like every other Ford engine family. And there are plenty of places to find used parts too, type in 351M/400 in ebay, craigslist or google...lots of results. I guess I don't really see or understand why you think the 335 series is so hard to find parts for, or why you think the series is any different than anyother Ford engine family.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts